Infected beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrawkgeek

Reaction score
Well, I was about to bottle this little kit beer my dad gave me. It was the Summer Wheat from Brooklyn Brew Shop. And well, this morning I noticed some floating foam type stuff that wasn't there when I last check up on her.
Is it an infection? Should I bottle it? Been in there 3 weeks now. A week more than it said to.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Home Brew mobile app

1392394723241.jpg

It's hard to tell because it's all concentrated in a small space, but to me it looks just like yeast, proteins, CO2 bubbles and junk. Basically it looks fine to me...

Well, on the top of the wort/beer, that little group of white bubbly stuff wasn't there last week. I just didn't know if that was meant to be there, or not.
Wouldn't of thought so.

Whoa, that's a full one! I'm surprised you didn't have any blowing out of it.

Right, it's hard to tell from that picture. If it's just a bit of foam, and no pellicle (a slimy or white hazy skin) it is likely just fine. Fuzzy mold would be bad. How does it smell, like beer?

The bubbles look like they are caused by CO2 release. There also seems to be yeast on the shoulder of the carboy and floating in your beer. This is all normal, but I would give the beer another week to clear.

I have another pic... It may be better. Just doesn't look, what's the right word, natural...?
Sorry. I'm paranoid now. Hah!
And wanted to bottle.

1392397736924.jpg

In the first pic,some parts of it look like broken ice pack. I got that with a lacto infection I showed in the other thread about infections. Looks a bit slimy to me...

I would be concerned if the white thick stuff grows. I
Would say it appears to be infected.

If it's at FG,then rack out from under it to the bottling bucket,prime & bottle. Be sure everything is cleaned & sanitized first.

Okay. I shall do that... and then let it sit for a good 10-14 days and see if there is anything floating in the bottles or not, so to see if it is still infected? I shall do that. third batch, and an infection. Damn. Thank you! :D

Any way you can take a picture looking down the neck, with the top off? It's very difficult to see what's going on through the glass, imo.

Didn't taste too bad. Bottled it. We'll see what it is like. Thanks, and sorry for all the paranoia. :)

Didn't taste too bad. Bottled it. We'll see what it is like. Thanks, and sorry for all the paranoia. :)

Drink them while they are good, probably young, watch for overcarb- if you experience that then get them to the fridge. Give all your equipment a bleach bath or something or replace hoses and valves. Anything you use to rack needs to be meticulously cleaned and sanitized or even replaced. Keep an eye on your next batches also. Just in case.

Bleached everything right after I bottled every up. We'll see how things go! Wish me luck.

Let us know how it turned out when you finally give into temptation and Pop the Top off of one!

Back