Infected beer - can I drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lagz0r

Reaction score
So a few weeks back now I bottled a chilli beer I had experimented with. There was a clear skin on top of the brew with some whitish bubbles. I wasn't sure at the time if it was an infection so I went ahead and bottled it as I normally would. Now it has developed the same bubbles and skin inside the bottles. I have heard of people here drinking. Infected brew and I was curious if there was anything special I needed to do before drinking it? Thoughts or opinions?
Cheers guys.

Give it a taste. I mean if you pour it and chunkies come out don't drink it but otherwise taste it at least. If it tastes bad don't drink it. If it tastes good. then cheers!

It can't hurt you, so go for it. If it's bad, dump it. If not, drink 'em before they get worse.

You might want to put some of the bottles away and forget about them for a couple years. Depending on the bug that got in there and at what stage of fermentation the wild yeast took off you might end up with a really neat lambic or Brett style chili beer. Either way it's worth the experiment.

.keep an eye for gushers, you dont want bottle bombs. i had a similar situation.Having the bottles for months now and no,gushers although , i think id want to drink them before the summer hits and warmer temps spark a ressurection or something if thats the case,because mine are sitting fairly cool,now. And the film even seemed to disappear maybe not surviving due to lack of oxygen? or something My vessels wernt exactly air tight.

Back