Inexpensive temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laser21

Reaction score
I am new around here and I wanted to share with yall a clever way I found of keeping the fermenting temperature steady throughout the fermentation. It started as something I had to do on accident because I ferment in my garage and one night the temps here plunged down really low so I had to come up with a way of keeping my gallon of wine warm.

What I did was I got a cooler and filled it up with water, put my 1 gallon glass fermenter in the water and then put a fish tank heater in the water. The fish tank heater is controlled by a thermostat so it turns on and off as needed and is submersible. So this means the water surrounding my fermenter is kept a specific temp. :p

I think this has been noted many times around here, but thanks for the input. Also, welcome!

More often, most people's problem is keeping it cool, not warm. Personally, when I need to warm up my carboy, I use a heating pad tied around it with a piece of string.

I think this has been noted many times around here, but thanks for the input. Also, welcome!

More often, most people's problem is keeping it cool, not warm. Personally, when I need to warm up my carboy, I use a heating pad tied around it with a piece of string.

Welcome and thanks for starting off with some productive advice (even though it was known around here prior)!!

I use Evan!'s method as well. The heating pad on High can warm the carboy by 10F in a night easily if need be. You really need to be careful or get to know this method before using it effectively. I have it figured out now; normally the pad on Low will raise it only about 2F and hold it stead; if you need it raised 5-6F, use medium; if you need it raised more, use high. Once you reach desired temp, use low. I like the method b/c it doesn't require as much room or trouble as a cooler, water, etc.

Anyway, on a related note, if you need to keep the carboy cool, use the cooler method and drop in a iceblock or plastic soda bottle of ice every now and then.

Just the water in the cooler alone is a good buffer against extreme temp change though...

Welcome Laser !
Nice to see another Va. resident somewhat nearby.
I suppose you shop at HomebrewUSA @ Janaf shopping
center, or Wine and Cakes in norfolk ?

Latest posts

Back