Inexpensive labeling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freki

Reaction score
I saw the label thread, and didn't want to clog up the beautiful labels with my questions about labeling.

What is the best option for an inexpensive label? Not looking for fancy or retail grade labeling, just something for home use that won't dissolve or fall off when the bottle sweats, so I can differentiate between different batches/recipes.

I just print labels onto regular paper, and stick them on with milk.

Doesn't work if you put the bottles get wet, but a bit of sweating would probably be fine.

Otherwise, if it's bottles I think are going to be stored in ice for example, I either just put a small label on the cap with a letter or two so I know what's in it, or I use a white china marker and write directly on the bottle. The marker comes off later with dish soap and some elbow grease.

Normally I just use permanent marker to write the gyle number on the cap.

If I'm giving them away, I use a white glass pen - if you have nice writing it can be made to look quite good, at least on a brown bottle.

Avery round labels. Fit on the bottlecap. Buy 'em at Staples or Office Depot.

I hate writing those Avery labels! They are really good and informative but man it takes so much time on bottling day. I bought a 10-pack of washi tape (like a kind of coloured masking tape) and just stick a piece of this over the neck/cap. It means I get to know instantly how many bottles of each beer I have in my cellar (read: cupboard), and it only takes a minute or two to label a whole batch. I keep a record of all my brews on BeerSmith and also stick a strip of washi tape corresponding to the beer I have brewed on my brewfridge/inside the cellaring cupboard so I know the ABV/what’s in the bottle. If I’m giving bottles to friends it’s far easier to write the details out two or three times for them as opposed to doing the whole batch when it’s only me drinking it.

CF708FFB-6F3D-42D3-BC7C-686F997B519C.jpeg

I use the beerlabelizer website to make the label PDFs and have them printed at FedEx. I use a glue stick to attach them which works pretty well.

I did the Avery dots on the cap for a while, then a change of computer or printer and couldn't get them to work any longer. Went to a sharpie and a couple of letters on the cap. Something like PA for pale ale. B for brown ale. If I have 2 brown ales I would come up with a name for one and use something that describes the name. Like = Brown Eyed Girl, I might note as BEG. I don't care to note the ABV or any other details on my labels so that never comes into play.

This is not cheap up front, but the labels look fabulous and they are reusable. They're the same kind of material as window clings. Everybody thinks they're just regular paper labels but no.

https://www.evermine.com/beer_labels/

I wait for a sale then pounce; I've bought 18 of them at a time which when combined with a sale gets the price down near $1 or $1.25 per label.

There are all sorts of designs, you can upload your own graphics or pics, and the text is all customizable. Some labels have little text, some have a lot. There are different sizes and form factors (square, rectangle, oval, etc.).

If cheap is the goal, and nothing wrong with that, @Mothman 's approach might be the best. I will say, though, that these labels I use surprise people; they're expecting some sort of half-assed label or worse on homebrew, then they see these labels which look professional.

darthlabel2.png darthlabelonbottle.jpg

Last edited:
@mongoose33 those are awesome, if not a bit spendy. How many times have you given beer away and not gotten the labels/bottles back?

Once. I gave a six-pack of various flavors to a local bar owner, a guy who's going to put in a craft brewery. I wanted his feedback. He threw the bottles into recycling.

Now, nobody gets such bottles without an admonition to return them and the labels. Or no more beer.

Avery round labels. Fit on the bottlecap. Buy 'em at Staples or Office Depot.

I started this thread yesterday. Idk if you saw it but I think it might be what you are looking for.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/656299/

Now THAT is the best option I've seen for my uses. The only reason I need them is for me to know what I'm grabbing. I rarely gift my stuff, and if I do, they know what is in it. Thanks guys!

I think I've read threads here on HBT that mention unflavored gelatin as the "glue" instead of milk for bottles that'll be getting wet...

Holds tight in cold water, washed off easily in hot....

I used to use address labels with main information.

Cheapest? Number your brews and put the number on the cap. Have a spreadsheet with brew number and description.

Back