Induction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsaunch22

Reaction score
I used to brew in college and even was able to center my college thesis around brewing...

However I would still consider myself newbie..

I have a 15 gallon ssbrewkettle and may start brew in a bag or not sure. The only thing that is certain is I want to brew.

My question is.... Are there any induction options out there instead of propane???. I hear there are induction tops for cooking but I tend to adhere to craftsmanship and not sure if there are ones specific or great for brewing

I am fairly new to this forum, but it seems many brewers on here use induction. I use an Avantco IC3500. It requires a 240v power source. I have used it for the past year or so with a 10 gallon kettle with great results. It has a sturdy steel frame that can support the weight of the brewkettle. I have used other induction cookers for actual cooking and while they worked great for heating up a cast iron skillet, I wouldn't trust them with the weight of my 10 gallon kettle partially filled.

Second vote for the IC3500. I've only used it a few times, but it can handle the weight of a heavy pot plus nearly 10 gallons of wort and bring it to a boil decently quickly. Last time I used it I got 8 gallons to strike temp in just over 30 minutes, which I was happy with. The instructions say never to use a kettle with a bottom diameter larger than 10.25" but as far as I know people have used this unit for years without damage.

I use a 15 gal Spike on the Avanco 3500 and can start with 13 gal depending on the style. I use a double wrap of reflectix with a bungee cord. My HLT is 15 gal and has a permanent hot water heater blanket for insulation and sits on the Burton 1800 watt 120 volt unit.

Latest posts

Back