Induction brewing for extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_beer_nerd

Reaction score
I've searched this forum and done other google searches regarding this topic, and while there are plenty of post on induction cooktops for brewing these all seem to center around all-grain brewing and set ups. Mostly the posters in these are looking to heat 5-10 gallons to boiling and don't really apply to smaller amounts we need to boil for extract.

Does anyone here have any experience with induction cooktop brewing for partial boils? I'm generally doin 2.5-3 gallon boils and then adding water later.

If so, what unit are you using? How fast can the unit boil the water etc? And are there any drawbacks to using this method? e.g., electricity flow concerns, breaker tripping, and pot diameter to cook top ratio?

All help appreciated.

There is an article in BYO that discusses induction brewing. He uses an 1800w (110v) Avantco cooktop and while he can do full boils, that would be absolutely ideal for you. Heating times vary with kettle, mostly.

I had no issues using the 3500w model. In fact, I kind of miss it.

I use two 12 qt pots with two 1800W plates. It takes 20 minutes to get to strike temperature and about 30 minutes to boil the hot wort.

It depends on the pot and your room temperature, but I’m guessing 45 minutes from tap to boil.

1800 w is 15 amps, which you should be able to easily get on a standard outlet. The only problem would be if the breaker was shared with another heavy load.

I started on induction and had constant issues with reaching a boil. This was due to the safety sensors on the cook top and it would shut off when it got "too hot". I remedy this by covering about 3/4 of the pot with foil and the lid. It still took about an hour to get up to temp and "boil" and then another hour after that to finish. I finally just bit the bullet and bought a propane burner, world of difference and only about $45 on Amazon, totally worth it.

Back