Indian Spiced Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo65

Reaction score
A local brewpub (612 Brewing) has a beer call Sher Khan. It is a low hopped ale with Garam Masala and Saffron. Has anyone brewed a similar beer and can offer me any suggestions. :mug:

Trying it now, in fact. 2 row, carapils, jaggery, and some red quinoa. Using mount hood for bittering and Saaz for aroma.

Starting with one teaspoon masala per gallon, which is kind of aggressive, but the Saaz seems to give a nice complimentary odor. Let you know how it turns out?

A local brewpub (612 Brewing) has a beer call Sher Khan. It is a low hopped ale with Garam Masala and Saffron. Has anyone brewed a similar beer and can offer me any suggestions. :mug:
Never had Sher Khan.

Looks like they whirlpool the spices according to their website. I presume they let the wort cool between 170-120 degrees before adding it.
I usually do about 1 tsp in last 5 minutes of boil but this instance might not work for saffron. I have also just put it in 3 oz of vodka soaked for a week and strain it as I added it to the bottling bucket or keg.

You could email them I think Robert Kasak is one of the brewers.

Garam masala is some strong stuff especially if you get it fresh. I could only imagine that the cumin would get me at the concentration listed. I'd probably drop it down to 1.25 tsp total.

If you want to play around with something that would work better with beer I suggest chai masala (just the spices, no tea leaves). You should be able to find it at any indian grocery store.

Back