Increasing carbonation for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawka

Reaction score
I've just made my first cider this year. Fermentation reached 1.000 FG. I have racked cider for 2 times and it is already bottled for 1 month.

Some time ago I had bad experience with beer carbonation - succeeded to make few bottle bombs. I'm very cautious since then ;-) Because of that I've bottled my cider only with ~2/3 oz corn sugar per gallon. As I mentioned, cider is bottled for 1 month already and it is absolutely still - almost as water.

What do you recommend guys? Would it be good to open bottles, add additional corn sugar and close them again? If yes, how much sugar should I add? 1 oz per gallon? Or less (because there I've added sugar before)? Any suggestion is welcome.

In the worst case I'll buy some keg with C02 and fill it with my cider.

2/3 oz per gallon should give you mild carbonation (2.0 volumes) depending on temperature. What yeast did you use, what was the FG when you bottled, and what's the temperature?

If you open the bottles and add sugar, that will create thousand of nucleation points, and the co2 will erupt out of the bottle even though there isn't much carbonation in there. think volcano.

But you could try warming the bottles up from wherever they are, and keeping them in a warmer place (like on top of the fridge?) and see if that helps. With even 2/3 ounce of sugar, you should have some carbonation.

I was using Mangrove's Jack M02 Cider yeast. FG before bottling was 1.000. Bottles are in room temperature (18-20 celcius).

Will try find warmer place and will give one additional month.

Latest posts

Back