Increasing Body on a Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted464

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the general category, but was told this might be a better section for responses:

I have a Flanders Red that has been in the fermenter for about 8 months now (first yeast cake/pitch) and I plan on letting it go until April which will be a year. I checked it the other day and the sourness is nice, Roeselare is coming through, but the body is SUPER thin, like water. Is there anything I can do at this point to increase the body? I normally keg, but I plan on bottling my sour, and re-pitching on the cake. Is there anything I can do at this point? Any help will be appreciated.

Some would say add maltodextrin, but IMO, no there isn't anything you can do to add body at this point. You could try and blend it with a sacc only beer if you'll be kegging or in the glass if you'll be bottling.

I think you may be evaluating too soon. I had flanders red type brew with bug farm, and thought the same thing. It tasted watery, mild, and overall not very good! I kept this opinion until just about a month ago, when it reached the age of about 11 months old. It is much better now and is continuing to improve. I would suggest you waite until it is at least a year old before you do anything. Additionally what are the pH and sg right now? That can help you decide what to do.

Also blending is an excellent idea as TNGabe suggested.

Thanks guys... I will ride it out until April and see, I might end up kegging it. I plan on repitching on the cake so I could always make a bigger batch and use some of it to blend.

When carbonated it will have a better, fuller body than when flat.

Latest posts

Back