Inconsistent fermentation temp a bad thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
Since it's getting cold in New York this time of year, I've decided to try a ghetto way of cooling my primary. I keep my primary in the bedroom and I leave the window open to cool the room in the area of 60-70 degrees. So, one night I'll come home from work and it would be 68 and the next night it would be 65 or 62 and so on.

Is this a bad thing for my fermentation?

I did notice that my ale did ferment steadily only for about 20 hours or so then it slowed to a crawl of about one lonely bubble every min. It slowed the same day my temp dropped about 6 degrees(from 69-63 or so). Did this temp drop cause a stuck fermentation or am I being paranoid? I'm gonna take a hydro reading in about an hour here so I'll let you know. My last brew bubbled great for only a day and turned out well but that one was at about 70 consistently. I know I'm probably just worrying too much, but I haven't got enough brews under my belt to just rdwhahb. :)

the air temperature is going to fluxuate ALOT more than your actual fermenting temp inside the vessel and it doesnt sound like its that great of a rise or drop in temperature to have an adverse effect on it

id go by the hydrometer reading, bubbles are just for eye candy!

Just took the reading. A disappointing 1.019 down from 1.051. I'm guessing I have quite a few points to go. The recipe didn't have a FG, but it must be lower than that. Problem is, there has been no activity in the airlock for a couple days and it's gonna be a week tomorrow since I racked it in the primary.

Will I still lose those points if I leave it longer than a week? Should I stir it?

just let it be how it is, take another reading tomorrow, and another on saturday. basically if you get the same reading 3 days in a row you know its done.

the airlock is for eye candy, oooh pretty bubbles. i wouldnt use it as a meter for fermentation.

i wouldnt suggest stirring it because of the introduction of oxygen and you could possibly contaminate a perfectly good brewha.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I already know the 3 consistent hydrometer reading rule, but I was just a little worried about the temp changes. I'll report back on Saturday to tell of any progress. Thanks. :mug:

Also, I was considering dry-hopping for the first time. I have kent golding , cascade, and fuggle hops. Which and how much should I use for a pumpkin ale?

Benny Blanco said:
Also, I was considering dry-hopping for the first time. I have kent golding , cascade, and fuggle hops. Which and how much should I use for a pumpkin ale?

yea dude about the pumpkin ale i dont know, i really dislike pumpkin ales and spiced beers like that so i guess im not sure, whichever one you chose you would think an ounce would do the trick though

Update: No good. My hydrometer reading is the same. 1.019...actually, it looked more like 1.020 today for some reason (same temp) :(

Is 1.052 down to 1.019 considered a stuck fermentation? I'm guessing not, but I know it's still low. The recipe calls for a FG of 1.012. Anything I can do at this point or should I just rack to secondary?

Bonus question: This may be a dumb question, but I heard many people say that fermentation doesn't take place in the secondary. Now, shouldn't they say that fermentation shouldn't take place in the secondary?

I'm just curious. If fermentation isn't quite done and you rack to secondary, will taking your brew off the trub stop it completely? Doesn't seem to make sense to me considering you should have suspended yeast in your brew when you transfer.

I would shake/stir up my fermenter and see if it gets going again. Sometimes rousing the yeast is all you need to restart a ferment, or make one go a little more than expected.

Do you think it's a stuck fermentation? Will shaking up the trub be worth it? Does fermentation continue in the secondary? Whats the meaning of life?

Fermentation does continue somewhat in the secondary, but only if it is not fully attenuated. Secondary fermenter is a bad term, it should say bright tank or clarifying tank. I leave my beer in the primary for two week then go to my secondary/serving keg. All the sugar is gone and the yeast are done, but I moved it to a secondary, get it? Rousing the yeast won't harm anything, you may have to wait a day or so if you plan on transferring the beer after you swirl it around though. If rousing doesn't work you can always pitch more actively fermenting yeast.

Latest posts

Back