Inconsistent bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hello guys I have a question about bottling. Some of my bottles taste really good and some harsh and off. Could this be due to oxidation from the bottling wand or slopping capping? Drinking a good one now but the last one was harsh!!! Glad I just started kegging :)

Oh and all were bottle conditioned for about a month and treatd the same... Dry yeast used?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it's some bottles and not others, the first thing I would look at is how clean you are getting the bottles before sanitizing. If they aren't visibly clean, you can't get them sanitized.

All bottles were thoroughly cleaned and sanitized equally !

You held them all up to the light and checked they were visibly clean before sanitizing? I have some bottles that won't come clean even after a long soak and scrub.

And can you describe the harsh flavor?

Kinda alcoholic and astringent. Yes they were all clean.I'm a bit if a OCD case when it comes to that stuff!

I can't think I anything that would cause alcoholic or astringent flavors in some but not all bottles other than cleaner or sanitizer residue.

Could it be that the flavor is more apparent at warmer serving temperatures than colder?

Are you priming the bottles individually or batch priming. I have good results with batch priming versus priming each bottle.. Also, are you using a no rinse sanitizer?

Batch primed with 4oz dextrose. Maybe I have to much trub sucked in from the primary?

Thanks guys will try rinsing better if I ever bottle again:)

Make sure you rinse the bottles very well after using the cleaner and then use a no rinse sanitizer like StarSan. You didn't say what you used for your cleaning and sanitation processes.

Oh forgot that.I used oxyclean for a overnight bottle soak then rinsed.After that I sanitized with starsan...1oz per 5g.

If you are essentially mixing and racking a bulk batch and priming in bulk the only variable is the individual bottle itself so if you have a few bottles that are off, deduction tells you it's the bottle;)

Sent from the Commune

If you are essentially mixing and racking a bulk batch and priming in bulk the only variable is the individual bottle itself so if you have a few bottles that are off, deduction tells you it's the bottle;)

Sent from the Commune

Probably so...hopefully a mute issue now that Im starting kegging.Thanks for solving the mystery tho.

Back