inadequate primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjs

Reaction score
I have started a Coopers Australian bitter with one and fermentation kicked in fine. After 6 days there seems to be no further fermentation yet the reading is only 1016. Air Temperature in the room is 19c.
So, a) is something wrong
B) what should I do?

a) is something wrong
B) what should I do?

a) Based on the info that you have supplied, no, I don't think anything is wrong.

b) You should do nothing. Just let it go for another two weeks and then bottle or keg.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks for the reassurance
At the time if my posting, I was following guidance that beer should not be bottled with a fg greater than 1006. Having since read other threads, this seems to be contradictory information?

it's very, very dependent on what kind of brew you have. there's no hard and fast rule about FG numbers and bottling. are you measuring fermentation with a hydrometer? if it's been constant for several days, give it another week and consider it done and ready to bottle, if it's not some crazy high OG brew.

Hey I am about four days into a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone I am right in the temp range but I have not gotten any activity. Advice welcome.

davedave - What do you mean by no activity? If you mean you don't see any "Airlock Activity", that doesn't mean anything. Have you taken a hydrometer reading.

Need to describe your process/temps that you pitched your yeast.

jkaylor said:
davedave - What do you mean by no activity? If you mean you don't see any "Airlock Activity", that doesn't mean anything. Have you taken a hydrometer reading.

No problem ok so I pitched at
60 degrees and yes no airlock activity OG was 1.062 and I am suppose to add hops and I was going to take a reading after a week had passed.

jkaylor said:

Ok no problem. I pitched at 60 degrees and my OG was 1.062 I am suppose to add hops at a week and that was when I was going to take my reading.

Back