Inactive Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tl1227

Reaction score
New guy here. I have been lurking around here trying to get some info off all you guys, but now I need some help.
I am on my second brew, first brew went smooth as could be, I assume.
I am making a Red Ale mini mash now, the brew is in the primary currently. As usual I could see the fermentation begin with the CO2 release after about 24 hours. Now, it has been roughly 96 hours in the primary, but there is not activity now. Should I re-pitch the yeast, or wait it out? Thanks in advance

As usual I could see the fermentation begin with the CO2 release after about 24 hours. Now, it has been roughly 96 hours in the primary, but there is not activity now.

Are you saying there was a lot of activity for a 1-3 days and now it has slowed down? If so that may well be normal...

Did you do OG readings with a hydrometer? Do you know your 'expected' FG? If so, another hydrometer reading may help you see where you are at...

Sounds like your yeast has finished main fermentation and is busy cleaning up after the party making your beer taste better. Leave it for a couple weeks and take a reading.

Alright, thanks. Just got a little uneasy, I was under the impression that more fermentation took about 7-10 days total, thought 4 days was a little to quick.

It can take any where from 48 hours to many days. Every fermentation is different which is one of the reasons it's good to use a hydrometer. You just can't count on it behaving the same way twice. :)

Good to know. The OG was 1.055, FG should end up being around 1.012

Back