In Search of the Perfect Pale Ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobInIndy

Reaction score
Anyone ever used Sorachi Ace with Centennial and Cascade? Seems to me it fits the mix pretty well, but just wondering.

Here's the recipe:

Partial Mash

5 gal batch
4 gal boil
60 minute boil
OG 1.044
FG(should be) 1.010-1.012

Nottingham yeast

5lbs 2-row
1lb Crystal 10L
1lb Cara-Pils
1lb Light DME(late addition)

.25oz Centennial 10% (60)
.25oz Sorachi Ace 14% (15)
.75oz Centennial 10% (10)
.75oz Sorachi Ace 14% (5)
.5oz Cascade 6% (5)

After 7 days, dry hop with 1oz each Centennial and Cascade.

Everything went great, 1.044 after boil and 5 gals exactly into fermenter.

Can't. Freaking. Wait. :rockin:

what was the mash temp? (how high is high?)

nottingham is a pretty attenuative yeast as well, you could consider something a little less so

When I doughed-in it was at ~158. By the end it had dropped to about 154.

I thought that a pound of Cara-pils would add enough unfermentables to make the FG a little higher. Does it actually add unfermantables, like malto-Dextrine does?

Oh, and predicted IBU is 35.

Didnt realize, you are right next door.

When it is done, I will be over to taste it and tell you what you need to do next.

Id have expected the FG to be higher with a mash temp of 158F. The carapils should have added SOME unfermentables.

Thermometer off?

Ferment temp high?

I dunno, Id expect it to have a higher FG too.

Didnt realize, you are right next door.

When it is done, I will be over to taste it and tell you what you need to do next.

Id have expected the FG to be higher with a mash temp of 158F. The carapils should have added SOME unfermentables.

Thermometer off?

Ferment temp high?

I dunno, Id expect it to have a higher FG too.

Yeah, it's a cheapy thermo from Walmart, but it usually matches my other one, so I figured it was fine.

I kept it at 68 all but one day, it got up to about 74, then I brought it back down to 68 and it's been there since.

I just dryhopped with an ounce of Cent and and ounce of cascade, it tasted great at hydro testing.

We shall see in about 3 weeks.

Pol, you get your stuff at Great Fermentations?

Yeah, it's a cheapy thermo from Walmart, but it usually matches my other one, so I figured it was fine.

I kept it at 68 all but one day, it got up to about 74, then I brought it back down to 68 and it's been there since.

I just dryhopped with an ounce of Cent and and ounce of cascade, it tasted great at hydro testing.

We shall see in about 3 weeks.

Pol, you get your stuff at Great Fermentations?

Mmmm, no. Thier prices are CRAZZYYYYY high. If I am desperate I will, but I have 3 pounds of hops, 110# of grain and about 8 packs of yeast in stock here at home. I may get a sack of 2-Row there for $41 this fall, but I wont buy anything but the sack there.

So, as expected this has minimal malt flavor. It is so dry, I can't believe it. It's kegged now, three weeks from the brew date.

Will leaving this to age longer help at all? I've never had a beer that is too dry, but this is is .008, and that's a bit low for me.

The hop profile is pretty much exactly what I expected, so that is good. Pretty good grapefruit with a touch of lemon from the Sorachi. The only problem is the lack of malt depth to back it.

Any tips for improving this?

So, as expected this has minimal malt flavor. It is so dry, I can't believe it. It's kegged now, three weeks from the brew date.

Will leaving this to age longer help at all? I've never had a beer that is too dry, but this is is .008, and that's a bit low for me.

The hop profile is pretty much exactly what I expected, so that is good. Pretty good grapefruit with a touch of lemon from the Sorachi. The only problem is the lack of malt depth to back it.

Any tips for improving this?

Reduce your mash time to 40-45 minutes and hold your temp at 157.

Mash time plays a vital role in how far your beer attenuates.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/controlling-attenuation-through-mash-times-60576/

Latest posts

Back