In need of advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thewarning

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie at this and could use some advice. I'm going to make a mead with pumpkin/apples/spices. My three questions are (1) what yeast would you recommend and why (2) I was planning on putting the fruit in the fermenting bucket, but what about secondary fermentation in the carboy? I know some just do fermenting bucket, others just secondary fermentation, and then others do both. Any recommendations? (3) How much spice would you recommend in a 5g batch? I was reading the compleat meadmaker and it said use spice very modestly. For example just 1 or 2 cloves is good for a 5g batch (which seems minuscule to me). And like question 2, would you do spices in fermenting bucket, second ferment, or both?

Thank you for any advice

From what I’ve read by adding fruits and spices during primary fermentation give you the full spectrum of flavors while adding them in secondary fermentation will give you the just the general flavors but also reduces the risk of the mead becoming infected

The thing about flavor is you can always add it but you can't take it away. That is why a lot of people add their spice after fermentation finishes and just before bottling. Add a bit, try a bit. If you like it stop and bottle. If you don't, add more. Adding to the primary does add to the taste especially during fermentation. But if you add 2 cloves (which I wouldn't) then you have to wait till fermentation had finished before you have any idea if it is too much. As a first mead I would simply be happy to make a good mead which is pretty much guaranteed.

Latest posts

Back