In A Slump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I've been so busy lately with work, school, family and a ton of other stuff that brewing has taken a way back seat. On top of that, the last few brews have been less than spectacular. Somewhere along the line the yeast got contaminated with some bug that was then used in several other brews. All of the beers ended up with the same off flavor.

Mostly what I'm lacking is time. Maybe when Easter is over I'll have a little more, but I'll still be coming up to the end of the semester.

Anyone else going through a slump?

I just bought my parent's house. For six months, while my folk's new place was bring built, we aaaal lived together like one happy family. Everything went well, but all of the brewing equipment was packed away. As I slowkly saw my back stock dwindle away, and I watch their house project drag on and on, I thought "Oh, this is what it's like."

So, yeah, I understand. Now I get to brew in a whole new place with all new patterns and rogue yeasts. But, at least there is an RO system and lots of extra space!

S

Not really a slump per se, but more like 'full'.

I have a wide variety of brews aging in the basement. Some of each of my favorite styles, and some for company ;).

I have at least a case of "session type" brew, a couple different IPAs, a couple different IIPAs, a couple barleywines, a Belgian Double, a triple, a golden strong, a belgian blonde in primary. Several apfelweins (plain, pomegranite, tart cherry). Imperial Stout, Oatmeal Stout, Dry Irish Stout, a vanilla porter. um... a Rye wheat. A few honey browns left. I need to make a Belgian IPA to round out the collection. Thats next, but after that... maybe some small experimental batches. I have a vial of wlp099 high gravity. I am thinking octo-IPA :)

I feel your pain Brewsmith, or at least the pain associated with the end of semester workload! I'm cruising HBT listening to some music when I should be drawing up plans for a final assignment due Wednesday afternoon, yet I procrastinate...

I also have a small stock left from better times. Although I never thought of brewing a beer with a low enough ABV that I could drink one without feeling the effects ha ha, which is bad when you're drawing site plans!

Big slump.

I live / lived in Fargo, ND. (flood)

For the last couple weeks we've been taking everything out of the apartment, and are now evacuated. :mad:

Hopefully we can be back in soon.
It sucks having no place to brew!

I haven't brewed in 2 months. Just too busy with work, kid's birthdays, household projects, caught a cold, and more work.

Things will let up soon, though, and I am planning on brewing twice in both April and May to rebuild the stockpile. I'm also going to set up my new kegerator, which should give me some inspiration to brew.

I get into funks where other things take priorities. If you are an AG brewer, maybe bang out a quick extract brew just for fun. Or maybe just set aside a half-hour and so whatever it takes to prepare yourself for a quick brew session. Just try to make it go as quick as possible.

There's nothing wrong with having a life outside of homebrewing. (prepares for lashing).

Happened to me in the fall as I built my new system... and did everything else around the house that you have to do to get ready for fall, got out of it after a couple months and finally getting to brew on the new system, still need to have some more batches to dial it in.

Back