Improperly sealed bottles - no carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey there,

I recently brewed beer with a friend who was lacking a bit of tricep strength. Long story short, she didn't use enough muscle and ~50% of the bottles didn't carbonate due to improper sealing of the caps. How would one normally tackle this problem? I don't want to empty the beers because I fear I will oxidize them substantially by doing so.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

Delaney.

I sense you are suggesting that I may not have waited long enough, which is definitely not the case. The bottles are 355ml, used sucrose for priming. It is 100% due to the seal, because the non-screw bottles from this batch are well carbonated. I used a stand-up capper which I normally have no issue with for either screw or non-screw bottles, but clearly the screw-cap bottles require a little more force which my friend did not apply.

So, back to my question. What is the best way to salvage the uncarbonated beer?

All right, so for 2.3 vol CO2 you need 2.1g sucrose per bottle (I assumed 22C as the beer temperature for calculation purposes)

Boil some distilled or RO water
Measure 42g of sucrose and add enough water to make 100mL. Mix well to fully dissolve ... This gives 2.1g per 5mL.
Add 5mL (1 tsp) to each bottle :)

Check my math

Back