Importance of Removing From Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLDanimal

Reaction score
In between deployments to Afghanistan I brewed up an Oktoberfest and a batch of Apfelwein. I wont get back to the states until this summer and both batches are still in the primary. If I leave it as is that will leave both batches in the primary for 5+ months. The Oktoberfest is done with fermentation and has gone through a d-rest, it's lagering at 38 right now. My questions are:

1. Can I leave them as they are until I get back without any major flaws?

or

2. Should I give me girlfriend (not a brewer) instructions to transfer them to one of my free secondaries with the risk that she messes something up?

Seems like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Thanks for your input

I was listening to Jamil Zainasheff's podcast yesterday, and they were talking about this exact issue. He said to get it off the trub if it was going to sit for more than 8 weeks. So, I would bite the bullet and have your girlfriend do it. As long as she keeps it sanitary, and doesn't splash it around you should be fine. Your gonna have an awesome brew when you get back!! I never have the patience to let it lager that long.

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure that I was going to have to get it off the trub; I just needed validation before it potentially gets ruined. It better turn out good, I'm already craving beer with a few months to go.

just remember when u give her the instructions bold underline italics highlight circle 50 tomes the word sanitize. good luck over there and enjoy your homebrew soon

I would definitely have her rack the lager, but I would not worry about the Apfelwein. My first batch sat in the primary for 8 months and it turned out great.

I am a TB Beers member and would be glad to help out a fellow homebrewer who's serving our country. Send me a P.M. if you want me to assist. I sanitize with Starsan and use an auto-siphon - it would be no trouble at all.

All, thanks for the offers but I got it done. It took about 50 emails answering questions\stressing sanitation\aeration avoidance but it sounds like all went well. I will probably be checking out the BEERS meetings when I get back. Thanks again.

Back