imperial wheat ipa suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xy9ine

Reaction score
haven't found any recipes as of yet. looking for guidance from those that might have dabbled with such things. i'm assuming using my standard iipa and swapping 50% of the 2 row for wheat would be a step in the right direction. i'm guessing typ heffe esters might clash w/ big hops, so 1056 yeasties might be a good call. suggestions? anybody found any recipes of this style?

thanks & cheers!

Sounds interesting... Im a hophead that likes heff. Im interested in your results! Make sure you post them up when you brew it.

You can certainly just take a standard DIPA recipe and swap half the pale malt for wheat, but it won’t add too much character. I would go with a paler recipe, maybe nothing but pale/wheat to give the wheat the best chance at coming through.

I did a hoppy hefeweizen last summer and really enjoyed the combination of estery yeast and fruity hops (Amarillo and Cascade primarily in my case): http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/07/hoppy-german-american-wheat-recipe.html If you go that direction I would ferment cool, or even blend a hefeweizen strain with something clean like 1056 to keep the esters mellow.

this is one I made last week

10 lbs wheat malt
6 lbs pale malt
1/2 lb honey malt
2 oz acid malt
mashed at 152

2 oz columbus 60 min
1 oz amarillo 20 min
1 oz centennial 15 min
1 oz amarillo 10 min
1 oz centennial 2 min

1 oz amarillo DH