Imperial Stout: Too long in secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhopper

Reaction score
I had an imperial stout in the secondary for about 7 months. When I bottled, there was quite a bit of trub on the bottom of the carboy but I figured there was still enough yeast for it to carbonate. Alas, after 6 weeks in the bottle at the appropriate temperature, I heard no wonderful "fpsst" when i popped the cap. I will let it sit for a few weeks (perhaps months) but will anything happen? The flavor is incredible though, full of chocolate and coffee with an incredibly thick body. Thanks for the help. :mug:

It may take a high ABV beer that has been aged for a while some time before it carbs. Just back away and let it sit for a while. My best advice is to try to forget about the beer.

+1

RIS would be great to drink around the christmas holidays. Hide it until then.

GT

Granted I am still a noob at brewing but i bottled an Imperial Stout after a few weeks in secondary and let it age in the bottle for about 4 weeks before drinking and it tastes pretty good. I;m going to try anf hold on to the rest of it until winter and let it keep aging.

I bottled a giant Belgian Dark Strong Ale after more than a year in secondary.

I did not add extra yeast at bottling.

it carbed up just fine, BUT...it took three full months to do so!

good luck!

Back