Imperial Stout Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVlamis82

Reaction score
I've been wanting to do an imperial stout, I'm only set up for extract at the time being, here's what I came up with.

3 Gallon boil
5.5 Gallon batch
9.53% ABV 1.093 OG - 1.021 FG 65.5 IBU 46.3 SRM

Steeping Grain
9.6 Oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Black Malt
12 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Caramel 80L

Fermentables
13.2 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
3/4 lb Molasses at flame out

Hops
1 oz Simcoe first wort
2.5 oz Simcoe 60 min
1.5 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1.5 oz Northern Brewer 15 min

Yeast
Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast 1084

Like I said, I'm looking for ideas, any critiques welcomed :)

I think it looks good. Careful with the molasses. Too much can get overpowering. Make sure you use unsulphured.

Looks like a waste of good Simcoe.

I've never used Simcoe as a bittering hop, but I understand it can give an undesirable flavor (I think I've seen it described as catty)'

That's lots of molasses. You have a lot of dark malt too. Are you sure what you are doing. I think you might be better with simple sugar (which will help bring down the FG).

1.093 to 1.021 with about 2.5 lbs of specialty malts. I think you will be lucky to get close to that, especially with that yeast.

9.6 Oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Black Malt
12 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Caramel 80L

That's a lot of dark malt. I'm not a fan of it, but you might like it. I'd go max 8 ozs of black OR roast.

Sorry, I don't brew too many stouts, so I may not be the best for advice. If it were me I'd cut the black Malt, reduce the Roast to 8 ozs. Cut the molasses, and use a pound of table sugar to help bring down the FG. Keep the Simcoe for a nice Pale Ale, and use a cheaper, more standard bittering hop instead, and drop the FWH (not really convinced it does much anyway).

I'd run that yeast through Mr Malty and those ingredients through Brewers Friend (or something similar) and tweak those ferms to make sure your plan is solid.

For what its worth I did an extract RIS recently with that same OG and got down to 1.021 with Safale 05 and Champagne yeast in the secondary.

I'd also agree with the hop profile comments from previous posts. Do something different and personally I'd bump the alphas. That beer has enough going on trust me it can handle it.

I would agree about removing the Simcoe. I like a single addition of a neutral bittering hop like magnum. I also like to add other grains to build up complexity. A Russian Imperial Stout is a great beer to use up small amount of almost any grain you have laying around. It's pretty much anything goes. Get creative! Add more varieties of grains.

Back