Imperial Stout Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe

Reaction score
Starting to make up my own recipes. I am more of an IPA guy I guess but wanted to give imperial stouts a shot. Any suggestions?

5 gallon Batch

13 lbs (63.4%) Maris Otter
1 lb (4.9%) Flaked Barley
1 lb (4.9%) Cara Pils
1 lb (4.9%) Belgian Chocolate Malt
1 lb (4.9%) Munich Malt
1 lb (4.9%) Flaked Oats
12 oz (3.7%) Roasted Barley
12 oz (3.7%) Special B
8.0 oz (2.4%) Belgian Debittered Black Malt
8.0 oz (2.4%) Caramel/Crystal Malt -80L
2.5 oz (15 min) Bittersweet Chocolate
1.5 oz (15 min) Cocoa Nibs
2 oz (0 min) Coffee

2 oz Cold brewed coffee in secondary
Bourbon soaked oak cubes in secondary

Hops (82.4 IBU)

Warrior 1 oz 60 min
Warrior 1.5 oz 30 min

OG 1.102
FG 1.021
51.6 SRM
10.8% ABV

Whoa there. I like the idea, but this looks a lot like my first recipes--a bit of the kitchen sink approach. Complexity is good, but you don't want muddy flavors, either. Building a deep flavor is often more effective when it uses shades of something similar (e.g. using C60, C80, and C120, or using a lighter Munich and aromatic malts).

I'd consider doing something a little simpler: cut down the Maris otter a bit, and replace it with more Munich (or amber or brown malt). Cut the carapils--you probably won't need extra body or head retention in a beer with flaked grains and an OG above 1.100. Drop the debittered black--you probably want either roast barley or black patent or both in quantity here, since the beer is going to have a serious roast flavor. Decide whether you want chocolate or coffee as a secondary flavor, but probably don't use both, since they could fight each other. If you do go for coffee, use a single method for coffee--I recommend adding cold brew to taste during bottling, which will allow you to adjust it.

Also, what yeast are you planning to use? Whatever it is you'll need a lot.

I was afraid it was a little to complicated. The chocolate and coffee amounts are basically copied from the KBS clone. Thanks for the tips, i will have to make a revision.

Oops forgot, probably going to use 1056 for good attenuation. Gonna make a huge starter of course.

Looking back at my post, it might have seem a bit harsh, so let me debitter a little by noting that it's totally fine to use both coffee and chocolate if you want. The recipe is yours, after all, so make what you think will taste good. I was just trying to say that you may want to use a smaller set of flavors so that they can each shine a bit more.

1056 is a good choice. You could also consider pitching a mix of English and American yeasts, or pitching English first, followed by 1056. The English will provide some esters, appropriate for the style, and the 1056 will ensure attenuation in something this beastly. Up to you whether you want esters; it would highlight the fruitiness you get from some types of coffee, the Special B and other dark caramels, and some aspects of chocolate.

Back