Imperial Red / Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatfour64

Reaction score
I brewed this up again two nights ago, it is one of my favorite original recipies! Well, the hop schedule was heavily influenced by Pliny the Elder... Just thought I'd post it up here and see if anyone wants to brew it and let me know what they think.

Green Monster Red, by Rob Colton

5.5 gallon, OG ~1.079, should finish about 1.012 or so.

6 lbs pale
6 lbs pilsner
1 lb vienna
8 oz crystal 80
1.6 oz chocolate malt
1.6 oz de-bittered black malt
1 lb light dry extract at 15 min boil
8 oz corn sugar at 15 min boil

Mash at 148-149 for 75 min with a good IPA water profile

Boil 90 min

1 oz Columbus at 90 min
1 oz Columbus at 60 min
1 oz Simcoe at 30 min
1 oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo at 5 min
1 oz each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Columbus at flame out - steep 5 min, then chill

Into fermenter and hit it with 30 sec of O2

Pitch proper amount of 1272 American Ale II yeast at 62 degrees

Ferment at 65 degrees until done in primary, 3-4 weeks or so

Dry hop in primary at 72 degrees, 1 oz each Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus for 7 days

Keg or bottle and drink after two weeks for maximum hop! This beer changes as it ages and the big hop slam fades, but it ages nicely. The malts come out to play and it becomes a real nice and complex beer, and its RED!

Let me know what you think if you brew it! :mug:

Looks really good! Would you care to post a pic of the beer? I'm making a red IPA and I'm trying to decide what grains to use for the color.

Hey flatfour64, how'd this one turn out? I'm going to brew an Imperial Red this weekend and I'm looking for a solid recipe. Let me know! Thanks! :mug:

Subbed! I'm a huge fan of heavily hopped reds/browns so this is right up my alley. May have to brew this in a few weeks once a fermenter frees up.

Just curious if anyone ever tried brewing this recipe? It has always come out well for me and is one of my favorites.

I know this post is a little bit old by now, but I came across this recipe today and it looks great! Does anyone have any advice as to how one would go about brewing this in a small batch (1 or 2 gallons)

I typically brew smaller batches until I find a recipe that really really works for me. I have a small space to brew and store beer in and keeping things small helps a lot. Thanks for the feedback!

Back