Imperial Red IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacketsdb23

Reaction score
Hi All -

I've sort of adapted the Marble Red Ale recipe I found on this site and created the attached on Beer Smith. This will be my first Red IPA - and its for a holiday party, so I wanted it to be more "imperial" style.

I like cascade hops because they grow easily in my garden, and I also really like Chinook and Simcoe hops, so thats why I used them. I sprinkled some Citra in there based on the original recipe.

Any constructive comments? I wanted some more color so I went a bit aggressive with the 3 oz of chocolate malt for a SRM of ~22 (outside of the normal style).

From Attached (Thanks Tinytowers for the recommendation):

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) -73.3%
1 lbs 9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) - 10.7%
1 lbs 9.6 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) - 10.7%
9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) - 4.0%
3.2 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) - 1.3%

1.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 54.5 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min 4.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.6 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

California Ale (WP001) Yeast

OG: 1.077
FG: 1.018 (Target)
ABV: 7.8%

71.4 IBU, 22.4 SRM

Mash (Medium Body) - @ 152ºF 60 min

View attachment Imperial Red IPA.pdf

You might want to post your actual recipe in the thread. I'm not sure if many people are willing to d/load an attachment to view your creation.

Anyways, I'd reduce the amount of C-80 to 2% and add 2% of caramunich (really rich red tone).Also I would reduce the amount of chocolate to like 1-2% and throw in 1% or roasted barley. I think what you have now will be more brown than red.

Hope this helps.

Just an FYI: I am reading this on an iPad and there is nothing to download, or open up to look at your recipe, so without seeing what your talking about, your question makes no sense.

In my experience, the best way to get red color is to use a small amount of very dark grain. E.g., for an Irish red, about 1-2 oz in a 5-gallon batch of roasted barley (~500L) will give you reddish color. Using a larger amount of more medium-colored grain, in my experience, gets you more brown than red. So if all you want is red color, I'd use 1-2 oz of roasted barley rather than 3.2 of chocolate. ("Red" is usually SRM of about 15, not 22.) Predicting color is difficult, though.

Other comments: I think you're a bit heavy on the crystal here. I'd use no more than a pound of crystal total, especially in a recipe with a high OG. Otherwise you're risking finishing quite sweet. Remember, your FG will be heavily influenced by your OG, so even if you want some residual sweetness, you don't need as high a portion of crystal as you might in a non-imperial batch.

Might want to add a little carapils or flaked grain for head retention.

Hops look pretty good. I might up the IBUs just a little more, given your OG, for balance.

Latest posts

Back