Imperial Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Tasting Notes
Mindblowing
Brewed this back in January to be ready for St. Paddy's Day. Kegged it this week and had my first 10oz glass last night. FABULOUS!

It is modeled after a beer no longer in production, Off The Rails, from Karl Strauss. Off The Rails was the imperial version of their mainstay Red Trolley. They actually brewed it again this year as their holiday beer and called it "This One Goes to Eleven", the only difference being that they used some cabernet grapes/brix to finish it off. Which inspired me to do something a little different and use cherries...see below.

5 gallon batch

11 lb 2-row
1 lb Crystal 80L
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Carapils

Hops:
.75 Nugget @ 60
.33 Willamette @ 30

Shooting for 42 IBU and 15 SRM.

Mash at 152
Batch sparge at 170
Yeast used was US-05
A real proper Irish would use S-04 or some English strain, but I prefer this beer to ferment super clean.

Primary for 14-15 days, then racked over 2lbs of frozen cherries that had been soaked in 100% organic black cherry juice for a few hours. Left it on the cherries for 1 week, then racked again to let it settle out for 21 days. Then kegged. (I also used gelatin just before kegging to give it nice clarity).

If you're bottling, you may want to go straight to bottle after cherries so you've got some yeasties left to carb.

I'm convinced this would taste amazing without the cherries, and at a lower ABV, but hey, make life decadent when you can.

Finished product was 7.7%. It's a sipper. Nothing subtle about the cherries, they hit the nose immediately and the taste buds in every sip. And the US-05 made this fairly crisp, so the ABV sneaks up on you dangerously. You could easily drink 3 pints of this before getting up and realizing, uh oh...

Cheers! :ban:
20210306_203959.jpg

Question about the cherries as I'm about to try this one out in a corny keg fermentation. After the 14-15 day ferment, you said you let the cherries fermenting in for 7 days. Was if in a muslin bag or free float?

Question about the cherries as I'm about to try this one out in a corny keg fermentation. After the 14-15 day ferment, you said you let the cherries fermenting in for 7 days. Was if in a muslin bag or free float?

Sorry for the delay friend, free float!

Back