Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auric82

Reaction score
I am thinking about brewing an Imperial IPA. After mashing out the imperial ipa, I want to continue mashing out another 6 gallons or so into another kettle and make a pale ale. Thoughts on this?

Recipe for the imperial ipa, 10 gallon batch
26lbs two row
4lbs golden promise
2 oz Amarillo fwh
1 oz Amarillo 60
1oz Amarillo 30
1 oz Amarillo 15
1 oz Simcoe 15
1 oz Simcoe 5
2 oz Simcoe f.o.

Dry hop 2 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe.
Mash at 150.

I would use a similar hop schedule for the pale ale as well. Part of the reason for doing this is that I have a pound of Amarillo and Simcoe to use. Any help or recommendations is appreciated.

The article recommended pulling the first 6 gallons off to make the stronger beer, then pull off 10 gallons for an average beer. Would 28 pounds of grain support this?

I used 28 lbs of two row for a 5 gallon batch of a barley wine and the used the second runnings for a 10 gallon batch of an esb and the esb came out phenomenal. So i would say if your going to do a partigyle you need to do 5 gallon first runnings beer and a 10 gallon second runnings beer and sparge as little as possible for the first runnings. essentially dough in with enough water and do a no sparge for the first runnings ipa. your efficiency will suffer but it will leave enouph residual sugars in the mash tun for the ten gallon second runnings beer as long as you sparge as much as possible on the second runnings.

I worked some quick calculations on BrewPal.

image-3436565561.jpg

image-2506137626.jpg

image-921487256.jpg

auric82 said:
Thank you Jeep for those calculations.

No problem. Just plugging in numbers. I don't know how many and what size fermenters you have, but I would be tempted to pull off three 5 gallon runnings and blend them to make two 5-10 gallon batches.

After reading the article linked above about partigyle brewing, I was planning on pulling the first 6 gallons off to make a strong beer, then pull off 12 to make an average beer. I was thinking about using the same hop amounts and schedule for both.

As an aside, I see you use brew pal, and I have a friend who uses beer smith. Any thoughts on which software is better?

I have never used beersmith. Actually I only have BrewPal and iBrewMaster on my iPhone. I don't have either installed on the desktop. I am just getting used to BrewPal and have only looked at the recipes on iBrewMaster.

Back