Imperial Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHamm

Reaction score
Brewing an Imperial Blonde Ale (Brewer's Best kit). Adjusted for full boil as follows:

5 gallon batch

Boil Volume 6 gallons

6.6 lbs Pilsen Light (2.0 SRM) LME
1.0 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) specialty grains
1.0 lb Corn Sugar

1.0 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) late extract 20 minutes

.75 oz Brewer's Gold 40 minutes
.50 oz Cascade 10 minutes
.50 oz Argentine Cascade 5 minutes

Beersmith gives me the following:

1.061 estimated SG
1.016 estimated FG

IBU 28.7

SRM 6.9

estimated ABV: 6%

of course, the kit gives me a much higher OG and a higher ABV (about 7%) but beersmith output is much lower with the 1.061 (not even in the style range of gravity for a belgian blonde ale). Should i purchase more extract to raise the gravity? Also, the bitterness ratio is 0.468 IBU/SG. I expected a much higher gravity beer than this.

I'm guessing the OG differences are due to efficiency calculations. As for alcohol content, your mash temperature can change things a bit as well.

I'm guessing the OG differences are due to efficiency calculations. As for alcohol content, your mash temperature can change things a bit as well.

It's an extract kit, though. eh, I just thought the OG would be higher. I'll keep it as is I suppose except for the fact the recipe calls for a partial boil and I"m doing a full boil so I adjusted the hop amount and timing.

I've made this beer. The original recipe makes 5 gallons and you have 6 gallons there. That probably explains the difference in the OG.

Back