Imperial B45 Gnome for an autumnal Belgian Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephort

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a BPA based on this article this weekend. I'm shooting for an easy-drinking fall beer; amber in color, ~6% ABV, reasonably well balanced with some maltiness, spiciness, and fruitiness but nothing over the top. So I want a yeast that's going to give the characteristic Belgian esters and phenols, but not to an overpowering degree.

The article recommends Wyeast 2522 or WLP550, which seem like they meet my requirements. However, I'm not going to be able to get to my LHBS until the morning of my brew day, so I won't have time to make a starter, and I don't think underpitching is going to serve me well in this beer. To get cell counts close to where I need them I think I should use either dry or Imperial yeast. The only appropriate dry yeast my LHBS carries is SafAle Be-256, which seems to have pretty mixed reviews online, and which I didn't love the one time I used it (though to be fair for that beer I allowed the temperature to free-rise up to ~90F, so the yeast may not have been to blame). The other option is Imperial B45 Gnome, which I have never tried before and can't find much info about online.

Anyone have experience with this yeast they'd care to share?

I've not used Gnome, but I have used a couple Imperials with success. Double the cells than the other guys, win.

I believe Gnome is their equivalent to Bastogne/Ardennes, the La Chouffe strain. I used one of those, can't recall which, it made a good BPA with qualities you describe. I wouldn't hesitate to use Imperial's version next time.

I’ve used the Chouffe yeast in a lot of beers, great versatility and easy to use. I ferment in mid-70’s.
Perfect for a Belgian Pale

Back