Imperial A40 Bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried it? I'm a loyal Mangrove Jacks cider yeast user. However, I am a fan of Imperial's beer yeast.

i used Pub in a Blueberry cider that scored a 41, i haven't tired A40 i have never seen it around. it must be grown in apple must or something along the lines of that since it says not to use in wort. I have been doing lots of reading on cider lately and it says a slow cool fermentation is key to a nice cider, so its temp range looks perfect.

If you end up buying some fill us in i am interested. i might call up my LHBS and buy some for when i can brew again.

I may give it a try. I'm hesitating a bit just because I'm fermenting 30-40 gallons of cider this winter. Which means I'll do a lot of blending and it's nice to have just one yeast to deal with. Plus, I'm well stocked w MJ cider yeast.

It sounds interesting enough that I may do one batch with the Imperial yeast to see if I like it enough to use next season.

Dang that sounds awesome. I asked my LHBS to see If it was in stock but he said he will get some in next order. I wont be brewing until next month so timing should be good.

I picked some up yesterday from a brew shop in Vancouver, WA (Bader Beer & Wine). I haven’t brewed with it before, but it sounds like it is a seasonal release. Will be doing 5 gallons of cider with it as soon as I can free up the fermenter.

IMG_4650.JPG

Bubbles is bubbling away nicely. Pitched into some local juice on Saturday at 1.060 SG and was bubbling Sunday morning. Fermenting at 58-59 to see how it retains the apple flavor.

Are you noticing sulfur smell?
What type of juice are you using?
Nice set up.

I’m getting no sulfur smells at all so far. I use fresh cider from Cedardale Orchards, it is sweet cider/pasteurized and they use a variety of different apples depending on what is coming off the trees. I use their cider for a base for every type I make as they always come out good, it always has an SG in the 1.060-.065 range, and I don’t have to sulfite it first, for $7/gallon.

I do have to say that sanke fermentor kit from Brewers hardware has been a favorite since I bought it 5yrs ago. I can ferment oxygen/light free in a 1/4 keg and pressure transfer with CO2, and cleanup is easy (boil with PBW and rinse, then steam sanitize). For temp control I use a controller running a seedling mat taped to the side of the keg and wrap the whole thing in bubble insulation. I haven’t needed to cool it yet due to my garage temps, but I have a cooling pad that flows water from an ice chest with a pump if needed in the summer.

I picked up a pack of A40 this weekend. batch was packaged on Oct 14th so 5 days after packaging not bad at all. unfortunately i cant start brewing until i move into my house so i have at least a month to wait. looking forward to more updates.

i am surprised at the attenuation of this yeast 85-100% and a 10% tolerance i think i am going to make a simple cyser if i cant find fresh juice but i plan to look around and see if i can find some local cider i hope i can.

i am surprised at the attenuation of this yeast 85-100% and a 10% tolerance i think i am going to make a simple cyser if i cant find fresh juice but i plan to look around and see if i can find some local cider i hope i can.

cider is virtually all simple sugars. You can pretty much count on 100% attenuation unless you're deficient in nutrients*. Which is highly unlikely. You gotta really try to have something that isn't dry. In the context of cider, it'll probably go higher than ~10%, too.

*or you fortify a lot.

Last edited:
IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4938.JPG

Just completed the second 5.5 gallon batch with Bubbles yeast. Both were 1.060 SG and 1.000 FG with the same light straw color and good apple flavor and light tartness. I fermented them both at 58 degrees. Total acidity was 0.6% for the first batch and 0.75% for the second, both in the 3.2-3.3 pH range. I would definitely make this again next year, it’s a very drinkable clean cider. I may try a blueberry addition to a batch in the future, I think it would be good with some berry added too.

Both were 1.060 SG and 1.000 FG with the same light straw color and good apple flavor and light tartness. I fermented them both at 58 degrees. Total acidity was 0.6% for the first batch and 0.75% for the second, both in the 3.2-3.3 pH range.

What were the apples? That's pretty high acid content.

View attachment 660245View attachment 660246
Just completed the second 5.5 gallon batch with Bubbles yeast. Both were 1.060 SG and 1.000 FG with the same light straw color and good apple flavor and light tartness. I fermented them both at 58 degrees. Total acidity was 0.6% for the first batch and 0.75% for the second, both in the 3.2-3.3 pH range. I would definitely make this again next year, it’s a very drinkable clean cider. I may try a blueberry addition to a batch in the future, I think it would be good with some berry added too.
Mine looks almost identical. Sorta tart and cloudy like your pictures. Even after 7 weeks sitting on the yeast

Back