Impatiently Waiting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
As my first batch has been sitting and fermenting for the past five days I only have one thing to say... This waiting game is killing me! I am going to be strong and keep resisting this urge to drink, but it is not easy. I cannot stop thinking about how my first batch may taste (Belgium Tripel @ 9.9%). Anyways back to trying not to think of all that delicious hoppiness. Damn, this is gonna be tough

I hear you Bro, keep busy by planning your next brew and making lots of empty bottles. You'll need them :tank:

That's my plan...get snowed in and empty bottles.

Yes, the pain eases tremendously when you've got a second batch going. Especially when that first batch is a Tripel that isn't going to be ready for months.

(speaking as someone who has been walking by his fermenting Tripel every day for 10 days)

haha, I did exactly that too, evilhomer. I couldn't wait for my first beer to finish so I went out, bought another carboy and started on a second the day after my first was transferred into the secondary.

To the OP: brew up a lower gravity beer...your second batch will be ready before that 10% behemoth

If you made a tripel as your first batch, I would go and get a couple of buckets and brew some quicker beers. Most folks I know who brew tripels don't touch them for 6 months to ayear.

Hey all,
As my first batch has been sitting and fermenting for the past five days I only have one thing to say... This waiting game is killing me! I am going to be strong and keep resisting this urge to drink, but it is not easy. I cannot stop thinking about how my first batch may taste (Belgium Tripel @ 9.9%). Anyways back to trying not to think of all that delicious hoppiness. Damn, this is gonna be tough

Congrats on your first beer! After the first few batches it gets easier waiting. Brewing some quick maturing beer while this one ages will help. :mug:

I have got Two Hearted Ale in bottles, a HopNaughty IPA in the fermenter since Sunday and I am already wanting to brew another!!!!! I am pretty sure it will be never ending!

Whats a quick maturing beer?

This chart should help. ;)

chart.jpg

It is like an obsession... when i walk past the fermenting bucket I need to peep into it and walk away from it after a few satisfying airlock release.

I totally agree with the obsession to check on the fermenting beer. I have an ocktoberfest in the secondary right now and I am always checking it out. It is so satisfying seeing a bubble in the air lock

I've got my first batch - a basic Irish Stout - fermenting in the primary. Took my first hydro reading today - OG 1.048, already down to 1.022 after just two and a half days...then I drank the sample to satisfy my impatience...it was glorious! :mug:

+1 to all those who said to satisfy by brewing another. I lasted a whole 4 days after brewing my first beer with my own brand new kit (I'd brewed before with friends and their kits) before starting my second batch I'd initially planned on waiting to do after the first was in bottles (yeah right!). Find yourself some nice ales and start that there pipeline my friend. :tank:

Whats a quick maturing beer?

I've got a rendition of biermuncher's centennial blonde that started out at 1.040 on 1/4 and as of tonight it's about 1.002 and the sample tasted ready to bottle. I've seen folks claim to have gone from grain to glass with this beer in two weeks if they have a kegging setup. If you're still bottling like me then you have to pad in more time for the bottle conditioning but its something you could still drink pretty quick.

Hey all, thanks for the encouraging words. I think that I am going to take everyone's advice and start a second batch of beer. The directions for the Tripel I made say to ferment for two weeks and then bottle and sit for two weeks. But I am going to go with your advice and let it go longer (maybe one month fermenting, then bottle and forget about it for a couple months). Anyways if I am going to start a second batch I will need another setup. Any places that you guys recommend for purchasing a kit at a reasonable cost? There is one local brew shop in town that I would love to be able to support, but they are a bit pricey for me this early on in my brewing experience. Any suggestions for a good second batch would be very much appreciated. Thanks Again!

P.S. My favorite store bought beers are- Any Magic Hat(especially #9) and Sam Adams Boston Lager. So anything with a similar taste would be great.

Hey all, thanks for the encouraging words. I think that I am going to take everyone's advice and start a second batch of beer. The directions for the Tripel I made say to ferment for two weeks and then bottle and sit for two weeks. But I am going to go with your advice and let it go longer (maybe one month fermenting, then bottle and forget about it for a couple months). Anyways if I am going to start a second batch I will need another setup. Any places that you guys recommend for purchasing a kit at a reasonable cost? There is one local brew shop in town that I would love to be able to support, but they are a bit pricey for me this early on in my brewing experience. Any suggestions for a good second batch would be very much appreciated. Thanks Again!

P.S. My favorite store bought beers are- Any Magic Hat(especially #9) and Sam Adams Boston Lager. So anything with a similar taste would be great.

There are stores in Northampton and Ludlow also. The Northampton store is a bit pricey. DIY Brewing in Ludlow has decent prices on a few things. For ordering online I would recommend Austin Homebrew Supply. AHS has good customer service, decent prices and their recipe kits are great too.
There are a few clubs in the area also. SPARGE and Masholes

Edit: Almost forgot, the LHBS here have a slow turnover. When you buy yeast locally always check the date to see if it's fresh.

I added some maple syrup to my first brew (Brown Ale) last night and did a hydrometer reading (1.069 -> 1.029). It looked and smelled fantastic.

I suddenly can't wait. I'll try to be strong and leave it in the carboy for 2-3 weeks before bottling.

Latest posts

Back