Immersion wort chiller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlawrence

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking at trying to get a wort chiller to make cooling wort more efficient. So when it comes to a wort chiller, I'm not sure what size to get. At my lhbs here in Newfoundland I can get a 3/8 50' chiller for 98.50.

I've also checked around to some plumbing supply stores and found that I can get a 50' coil of 3/8" for $65 and 1/2" for $85.

I would prefer to build one, but I don't know what would be my best option. I was thinking maybe a 1/2", 50' dual coil chiller? What do you guys think? I'll be getting a 15 gallon pot doing 5 gallon batches for now but may move to 10 gallon occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have a 25' 3/8 and do 5 gal batches. I don't think 1/2" would help much, as that would increase flow faster than the coil could absorb heat. Honestly, I think a 25' prechiller run into a 25' wort chiller might be the best setup - mine works well, but is more dependent on how cold the ground water is than anything else.

Hello,
I built myself a 3/8 50' by wrapping it around a corney keg for half then around a bucket for the other half. Probly similar to your dual coil chiller idea. I really like the 3/8. I did some experimenting with 1/2 and it seemed like it used more water in the end so I stuck with the 3/8. I now use my pump to recirculate the wort. If you don't have a pump stirring will greatly speed up the process. My plan if I go 10 gal will be to add another 3/8 coil that fits around my current one and just run a wye from my garden hose to double the flow.

Hope this is useful
e

I have a 25' 3/8 and do 5 gal batches. I don't think 1/2" would help much, as that would increase flow faster than the coil could absorb heat. Honestly, I think a 25' prechiller run into a 25' wort chiller might be the best setup - mine works well, but is more dependent on how cold the ground water is than anything else.

I have a 25' 3/8" chiller that I prechill with a large computer radiator in ice water and it doesn't quite cut it. If you're chilling a full 5 gallons, it might be worth it to go for a larger chiller. My input water is pretty hot, though. Maybe 90 degrees right now.

3/8 50' it is then I guess. There's a video on YouTube on how to make the dual coil one I'm talking about, but sounds similar to the one mentioned above. The water here can be pretty cold so I'm not too worried about that

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Can the top of the coil be above the wort during the boil? I realize efficiency would be lowered that way, but would it be any kind of risk to the wort?

It can be above but you will not be using all of your IC. We have moved to plate chiller (DudaDiesel) and they are soooo much better. One issue we had was the heat blanket of the wort next to the IC. We eventually cycled the wort to get a whirlpool action around the chiller. I think they are sold as Jamil tubes.

I used a few different size IC and was fine with the 3/8 coil with the pre chiller. I was able to get my lagers down to pitching temps with just a little extra time and ice. Also would pack my pre chiller with snow when available. Def saves time if you stir the wort while chilling it.

Back