Immersion chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennahighlandbrew

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been having the darndest time getting my wort to cool to pitching temp in an adequate amount of time, and I've been debating picking up an immersion chiller. Do any of you have any recommendations, and can any attach to a kitchen sink? My apartment doesn't really offer hose access. Thanks in advance.

I T'd off my shut off valve under my sink with a hose shut off for my chiller.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I made mine I brew in my Apt and attached to my sink theres an adapter that makes Sink to Hose attachment than u just buy the female hose attachment and place in the hose! Made mine for around 50$ (CAD).

Works awesome

With the higher prices of copper tubing today I would suggest not making your own. Especially if you don't previously own a pipe bending tool.

To get mine I watched Craigslist for about 4 weeks at least once a day and scored a decent 25' stainless steel one for $20. I would say if you can get a 25' for $35 that's a good deal. And even better would be a 50' one (these are often home made) for $40-45.

Those are at least the kind of deals I could find if I surfed Craigslist for a while in my area.

You are doing 5 gallon batches right?

I attached mine to an old aquarium pump so i can pump ice water through it... food for thought. You could just fill up your sink; I use a cooler full of ice & water.
I made my own btw by wrapping 3/8" around a paint can and I didn't need a pipe bender. If you want to go thicker definitely go to harbor freight and get one! I made that mistake while building something else with 1/2".

They do have fittings at local hardware stores to attach the immersion chiller to a faucet. Immersion chillers are great and can speed up the process. Copper can be expensive, but if you are a diy person, there are many tutorials on making one and it might be slightly cheaper than buying one online or from a local Homebrew shop.

Good luck!

Unless you have a fancy faucet that my SWMBO wanted...otherwise this works I've used on and you can go to Home Depot to pick one up

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh, you have one of those faucets. We have one too in our kitchen. Fancy brushed ss behemoth over our sink, but no threads.

You could splice in a T-connector to the cold water line under the sink and sweat on a valve to that. Would cost about $20 in parts from the home center store.

I made my chiller out of 20 ft copper tubing and the whole thing, including the pipe spring bending tool, cost me about 33 bucks.
Like all these guys have said... go to your local hardware store and get an adapter to screw on to you sink faucet. Mine is like brettg20's... no threads so I'm stuck with the hose outside. Sucks during the winter (If I can get the water running...)

Go to your local A/C supply house, and see if they have any damaged rolls of copper. I made mine by wrapping the copper around an old refrigerant container. Hook up some flexible lines to it, and then buy one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/158-GPH-Miniature-Submersible-Fountain-Pump-68396.html Pick up some hose fittings at a hardware store, and you're in business.

Hook up your immersion chiller to a hose and pump water from the house through it until the temp gets down around 100f. Then put your new pump in a cooler with a large sack of ice and about 1.5 gallons of water. Hook up the lines, and turn it on. You're down to pitching temp in about 10 minutes.

HomeDepot lists that copper by inside dimension (plumbing) instead of outside as HVAC guys do. I'm curious as to which 3/8" copper you guys are using.

HomeDepot:
1/2" OD (3/8" ID) 20' roll of tubing: $21.65
1/2" ID vinyl tubing: $4.19/10 ft
3 hose clamps: $2.67

Harbor Freight:
small water pump: $8.99 (next size up is $12.99)
tubing bender: $5.49

Total cost: $34

I'm thinking of chilling 1 gal of tap water and using ice in the sink or a bucket and recirculating the water.

1/2 vinyl tubing fits easily around my copper tubing so I think it was 3/8 OD.
The water comes out pretty hot so I'm not sure how cold your water will stay to recirculating it. I've never tried it though so it might work.
I got my spring tube bender from Sears for about 3 bucks so maybe check there to save a little money. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Home Brew mobile app

You could do a bit of research on no-chill brewing and save the hassle and some money at the same time. One batch that I kept inside while cooling took about 36 hours to come to pitching temp but I didn't have to wait for it sitting in my sink.

You could do a bit of research on no-chill brewing and save the hassle and some money at the same time. One batch that I kept inside while cooling took about 36 hours to come to pitching temp but I didn't have to wait for it sitting in my sink.

I'm forced to do this in the winter when the pipes are totally frozen and I don't want to risk using my hose and busting a pipe. It works perfectly for stouts and other beers with no burnout aroma hop additions. If I get the hankering to brew an IPA when it's cold I try to start my brew day early so I can let the wort cool down to about 180 or so before I drop in those flavor/aroma hops. If you drop them in at burnout and let it sit to cool you can extract extra bitterness that you may not want. Other than that though I've had absolutely zero issues with the no cool method. Either way it's beer! :tank:

Back