Immersion chiller questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
My LHBS gave me a good deal on a chiller when I started brewing last year. The issue always was the height. The curve did not reach the lip of my kettle. I would have to raise and rest the bend on the lip. This would raise the chiller a little out of the kettle therefore could not utilize the entire chiller.

So I figured I would make an adjustment and extend the neck.

I cut the fittings and extended by 12" to accommodate my needs. I used lead free solder for the job. It's not the prettiest but it doesn't leak, at least not that I can see.

My question: will the solder have any affect on the wort when the chiller is put in at the 10 min remaining mark? I also had a drip that you can see in the below photo.

I've also looked at the Jaded Brewing mantis and their 3/8" 25' chiller. I mainly brew 2-5 gallon batches. For those who have one of these chillers which do you recommend? I'm leaning towards the 3/8" chiller as its half the cost of the mantis.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461632513.685890.jpg

If it doesn't leak, it's fine, no need to replace it. The wort won't know the difference.

If you cared you could knock the blobs off with a file then polish the whole thing up with 400 grit emery cloth or 000 steel wool, then wash it thoroughly...

Cheers!

It'll be fine, I soldered my manifold in My mash tun and it's fine. Water pipes all across America are made of the same type of material. Drink a beer dude.

Back