im very sorry. i dont brew sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
im really sorry, i've been brewing for a long time, but i don't make sour beers. i still get excited when planning out a .4 to .5 og beer with 2 oz of hops. sometimes... i feel like the homebrew world is moving on and leaving me in the dust

Personal taste, I don't think anyone expects you to brew sours in order to consider yourself a homebrewer.

I haven't had a sour I've liked, but whatever, to each their own.

And hey, some guys only make wine... I mean, what's the deal with that anyway?

i have yet to have a sour that i like, therefore, i dont brew them. If that declasifies me as a homebrewer, what ever. Im pretty sure the 300+ gallons i have brewed beg to differ

i guess that's what i mean. i've had sours that i thought were nice, and gose and stuff that's good as a novelty but i brew because i like the taste of hopped beer. i've made a lot of different kinds and looking back i realize my favourites were sessionable everyday beers. alts, stouts, wheat beers and lagers.

every person i talk to (not on this forum) wants to make some 100% brett sour or cherry geueze or something

I brewed one as an experiment. No clue if it was a true sour or what characteristics it lacked. Turned out decent enough for me, but not something I'd do often.

Brew what you want.

That's one of the great things about this hobby - you make what you like the way you like it, others make what they like the way they like it. I don't have to make what someone else likes if I don't like it.

Sour beers are pretty much the only commercial beer I buy. Aside from one lambicish per year to mess around with blending, I'll leave the sours to the guys with square footage for enough barrels to produce something I'd want to drink.

I hate sours, thus I don't brew them. Nothing wrong with not brewing what you don't like. I'm also not a fan of Kolsches, so I don't brew them either. But I brew plenty of the beer styles that I like!

I feel like craft brewing and homebrewing are very much in an exploratory phase. We liked malty, then imperial, then we went hoppy, and started mixing styles in crazy ways. Sours are an iteration.

I personally like sours (most of them) but there were other trends along the way that I didn't care for (black IPA, trappist). Right now you're not part of the new trend but homebrewing in general will always continue to love the tried and true styles that rise up out of the experiments.

RDWHAHB

Apology accepted. Nobody's perfect.

(I very rarely make them either, no biggie)

And hey, some guys only make wine... I mean, what's the deal with that anyway?
And some guys only make mead...I mean, really??? (That'd be me :cool: I started out homebrewing beer in the '90's, but, now with so many great beers available only a few miles away, not worth my effort....making mead these days and loving it, since the only commercially available mead I've ever found 'round here was rubbish. I find the occasional sour "interesting," not my first choice, but if offered the choice of only a sour or a BMC, a sour it'd be, for sure

I can't stand sours. I've tried Bretting a bad batch of IPA, and although it wasn't sour, it was also still nasty, so I ended up pouring it out.

I'd be interested in playing with brett to get a funkiness without the sour, but there are so many other styles to brew that I don't miss not making brett beers.

I'm surprised at how often a plain, mid-range, mid-IBU beer hits the spot. Sometimes you gotta take a break to make the IPA's and RIS's taste special again.

recently witnessed a guy at a Night Shift tap take over almost puke on himself after trying their mainer weisse. He then between dry heaves told his buddies how awesome it was......

To each their own. I personally love sours so I brewed a golden sour last year and will be brewing either a Berliner or a gose this upcoming weekend. I also like big stouts, IPAs and session beers so I brew those too. I don't care for Trappist style or Belgian dubbels, tripels and quads so I don't brew those. As long as your making something you like who cares what everybody else thinks and brews?

Dude, brew what you like.

I don't like most Belgians or many wheat beers, so I have no interest in brewing those.

I'll admit, I jumped on the sour bandwagon.

But only in small batches. My go to's are still Pale Ales and porters / stouts.

I haven't successfully sour mashed yet. The first go was WAY too sour because I let it go too long and the second one, well, I don;t want to talk about it.

I have a 3 gallon carboy and a few one gallons devoted to sour beers and meads, but you sure don't have to brew one to be a homebrewer. I'll for sure never brew a Wit.

Count me on the sour bandwagon as well. My tastes run towards mildly sour or slightly tart like Belgian Rodenbach, Petrus, Duchesse De Bourgogne or some of the Beers from the Breuery in California.
These beers run $10-$20 for 750ml bottles and I want to see if I can make my own. Its a long term project, I expect my first one to take at least 18 months.
But if someone wants to make a PBR clone, Session IPA or any other beer and enjoys the brewing and drinking it, that's great, to each his own. God wants us to be happy and wants us to have beer, so Cheers!

I'll probably never brew a sour, not because I don't like them, but because I have to learn how to brew first, then I have about 30 styles I want to master, then I might consider brewing a sour, but by then I'll have perfected a house recipe that I can turn around in 4 weeks so I'll brew that instead and end up buying a Gose or Berliner and I won't want to have another sour for a while.

I don't care for them enough to want to try to brew one. The ones that I've tasted were hit or miss with my taste buds - I don't love them enough to pay the crazy prices for the commercial versions around me because there's a good chance I won't end up enjoying it as much as I would something else. I have a friend that has started brewing them, and I would gladly sample his.

:off:
As a side note, I got a good laugh at this because a similar thread was posted a couple weeks back by a guy that didn't like super hoppy IPAs, and it immediately divulged into a flame war...It was probably more in his initial presentation of the topic, but still...

Sour beers suck.
People should not buy them.
You should ignore them when you see them on store shelves.
They are overpriced and they are not worth the money.
Walk away and pat yourself on the back for not buying them.

That is all :p

I'm sorry that I don't brew sours as well. Part of me is worried that they won't turn out well, and part of me is worried that I will cross-contaminate my regular beer equipment. It's on my list of things to do though...love a good sour.

I made a sour once...

Then I cleaned and sanitized everything and replaced a few pieces...

Never happened again. :)

You beat me to it. My second batch was an accidental sour. Of sorts. One friend asked if it was a barley wine and when I started telling folks it was they thought it was great.

I don't care for sours in general. That being said I think there is something interesting about sour styles like the Kentucky Common. I'm still working on the basic styles though

im really sorry, i've been brewing for a long time, but i don't make sour beers. i still get excited when planning out a .4 to .5 og beer with 2 oz of hops. sometimes... i feel like the homebrew world is moving on and leaving me in the dust

Ha- try to be a BJCP judge and admit, "I don't like sours. I'm not a good judge of sours, and I think that they all taste, well, sour." :D

A couple of years ago, I tried to cultivate a taste for sours, like many do for IPAs (me included). But I couldn't. I was at squirrelybrewer's ( think that is his ID) brewer last weekend and his anniversary beer was a fruity sour that was getting raves. I was like, "um. Could I just have some of this DIPA?" I felt so left out of the current trend. :drunk:

I don't care for sours in general. That being said I think there is something interesting about sour styles like the Kentucky Common. I'm still working on the basic styles though

here's what is interesting- Kentucky Common is NOT a sour style of beer. At least, it's not supposed to be! I spent quite a long time chatting with Dibbs Harting about it. The trust of the paper: * "Therefore, the bacterium must be one of the hop insensitive species, more than likely L. brevis which no brewer would purposely introduce into his or her brewery but most likely resulted from
contaminated cooperage". And later, "One of the benefits of consolidation and emergence of much larger breweries was the incorporation of
cooperage operations which assured the barrels were sound, well pitched and, most importantly, sanitized.* *Unfortunately, these attributes were not shared in the smaller breweries.* *It is here that I believe, however intriguing, the sour beer myth and legend originated."

For info:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/NHC2014-kycommon-handout.pdf

here's what is interesting- Kentucky Common is NOT a sour style of beer. At least, it's not supposed to be! I spent quite a long time chatting with Dibbs Harting about it. The trust of the paper: * "Therefore, the bacterium must be one of the hop insensitive species, more than likely L. brevis which no brewer would purposely introduce into his or her brewery but most likely resulted from
contaminated cooperage". And later, "One of the benefits of consolidation and emergence of much larger breweries was the incorporation of
cooperage operations which assured the barrels were sound, well pitched and, most importantly, sanitized.* *Unfortunately, these attributes were not shared in the smaller breweries.* *It is here that I believe, however intriguing, the sour beer myth and legend originated."

For info:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/NHC2014-kycommon-handout.pdf

yeah I read that researching Kentucky Commons after having one that blew my mind.

Brew what you like, I like sours but I'm not crazy about paying for them, I don't drink them all the time, I go to IPA's saisons, stouts, Ect,ect,ect for that. They take time and they change as they age, patience is a virtue;)you never know what your going to get.
I'll brew one up when the pipeline is full and let it do its thing.
This reminds me I need more fermenters:D

I'm very sorry, I don't brew hefeweizens.
It's totally fine to brew only what you like.
And if you don't like commercial sours, even better. That's more for the rest of us to buy that do enjoy them.

My first infection was on a Belgian Witt. It had a crazy funk skim coat on the top of the fermentation bucket. After kegging, I marked it 'Do Not Serve'. My brother took it and served it from his tap, with positive reviews. I was happy to see it go.

It was sour.

I have never tried a sour.

I would like to try a sour.

I find the science behind sour brewing interesting, the microbiology and biochemistry and all that.

I have yet to brew ale or beer but if or when I do I will not be brewing a sour.

That is not to say I have no interest in brewing a sour, just that it is not on the top of my list of brewing priorities.

And, as has already been mentioned in this thread, I fear cross contamination and not being able to get rid of it once it has been introduced into the local environment.

Back