I'm thinkin' an Amarillo Imperial IPA - recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I've only done one other IIPA, and it was a "kitchen sink" type of batch with all types of hops. This time, I have a ton of Amarillo hops and want to use them up. Below is a recipe for an IIPA that I'd like some input on. Please take a look if you have a moment and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Grain Bill
35.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - 90.91 %
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) - 5.19 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) - 2.60 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) - 1.30 %

Hops
4.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) - 72.5 IBU
4.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) - 29.8 IBU
4.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) - 7.7 IBU
4.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

Yeast
American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) - Re-use Yeast Cake from Pale Ale

Mash
Mash @ 150F for 75 minutes

Fermentation and Kegging
Ferment @ 68F for 21 days
Rack to keg and Dry Hop for 7 days
Chill to 37F, carbonate and serve

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.086 SG (1.075-1.090 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.020 SG (1.010-1.020 SG)
Estimated Color: 11.8 SRM (8.0-15.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 110.1 IBU (60.0-120.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 86.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 8.60 % (7.50-10.00 %)

I got a suggestion via PM to increase the body for a more malty profile. I was under the impression that was frowned upon for this style, as it's meant to showcase the hops.

It really depends on what your goal is and your personal preferences. A lighter body such as yours will bring the hops more forward and in your face. Pliny would be a good example of heavy hops with light body. Many people including myself like a bigger malt backbone to balance the hops bitterness more. That 4 oz of chinook upfront will certainly impart a strong hop bite. I'd add some more crystal malt, maybe another .5 to 1.0 lb. but that is to my preference and may not be appropriate to what you are trying to achieve.

+1 to some more crystal. I think you could add another .5# of carapils and another pound of crystal. This would put you around the percentages that Green Flash West Coast IPA uses (according to Jamil on Can You Brew It). With a pretty bitter beer like that I personally like to have some noticeable sweetness behind the bitterness. To me, that's what gives the quality to an IPA that makes you want to immediately have another sip.

That's some good feedback, I think I will either bump up the Crystal 60L or add a pound of some Crystal 15...I've got both "in stock". I DO want this beer to be an in-your-face hoppy beer, but I also want the sweetness to balance out the hop bite. Maybe I'll tone down the Chinook...

Back