im new

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddykreuger666

Reaction score
well i wanna brew me own drinks i i wanted to know if i was to get a cheap £30 or so starter kit:-
1) wot else wud i need to buy to start brewing?
2) wud i have to buy sum yeast or sumthing like that?
3)if i wanted to use disposable plastic bottles wud they work?
4) Where can i buy Cheap glasses from?
5)to bottle the beer wud i just pour the beer in? and just quickly put a crown cap on it?
6) if i was to get a starter kit cud i also brew vodka, wine and other stuff in it or wud i need extra equipment?
thanx in advance

freddykreuger666 said:
well i wanna brew me own drinks i i wanted to know if i was to get a cheap £30 or so starter kit:-
welcome to the madness. I'd start by searching the net. check www,homebrewmart.com thats where i get all my stuff since they are located about 5 minutes from my house.
1) wot else wud i need to buy to start brewing?
well a kit should have most of the equipment you will need. a basic list of stuff you will need would include a 6 gallon capacity cooking pot, hydrometer, thermometer, bottle capper, bottling valve, siphon, spoon, hop bags, an airlock with gasket, and a fermenting tank, and a bottling bucket.

2) wud i have to buy sum yeast or sumthing like that?
you bet, yeast is what makes alcohol. while cake and bread yeast will work, its better to use a strain designed for brewing. such as wyeast, yeastech, or white labs.
3)if i wanted to use disposable plastic bottles wud they work?
not for bottling your brews they wont. you need dark glass bottles with a pop top style cap. a twist top bottle wont work as you cant seal it properly.
4) Where can i buy Cheap glasses from?
internet id imagine
5)to bottle the beer wud i just pour the beer in? and just quickly put a crown cap on it?
someting like that, all though yhou need to add some corn sugar to your beer just before you bottle it in order to prime the brew. we usually add 1 cup of corn sugar dissolved in one cup of water to a five gallon batch once its in the bottling bucket.
6) if i was to get a starter kit cud i also brew vodka, wine and other stuff in it or wud i need extra equipment?
thanx in advance

yes you can, but you will need different ingredients, and vodka requires distilation to achewive its alcohol content.

ok if you're going to buy a beginner's kit i would look at spending at least $150 - $200 with ingredients.

yes yes i know you can brew for much cheaper than that but seriously - you're gonna want the 'extras' after the first or second brew - so why not go ahead and get them. get a bottle brush - a carboy and a brush.

that's one of the best things my hbs did for me. sure he wants to sell me stuff - that's why he stocks it. but i approached the deal with the attitude that i wanted the things now that i would want in a few weeks anyways. so he set me up. and he didn't include anything that i didn't need and haven't used. the only thing he didn't include was a wort chiller - i made my own

buy the best equipment your budget will allow i always say.

freddykreuger666 said:
thanx in advance

Wine - maybe, but you'll need some different equipment, as making wine does differ from making beer.

Vodka - no, a beer kit won't work. Making vodka, or any other spirit, requires distillation. Oh, and if you are in the US, it's not legal.

Latest posts

Back