I'm looking for a good Grain Mill...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've finally decided to take the AG plunge and aside from the normal stuff, I'm wanting to get a decent grain mill; I've been reading tons on the different models out there...
Who makes the most practical model for the money? ($100)

I only want to have to do this once! I can handle making the hopper, etc, so I am really only looking for an adjustable, roller type mill...

Thanks... :mug:

The hard-core, robust, unbreakable brands tend to be Monster and Crankandstein, but they'll cost you more than $100

Malt mill is somewhere between MM/C&S and BC but will run more than $100 also (comes with base/hopper also).

Barley Crusher seems to be the next in line but will also cost more than $100 but you'll get a base and hopper (I don't think you'd have an option not to).

Cereal Killer and Millars come in under the BC and will run you about $100 with base/hopper (again, no choice I think).

At least this is what I've gathered in my investigations into grain mills. If you really only want to have to do it once and can make your own hopper/base then I would say save for another month and buy a MM/C&S.

I have the Cereal Killer, and it works great. You need to be careful when you first set the gap, but other than tightening it from time to time, I've never had a problem with it.

I have the Cereal Killer, and it works great. You need to be careful when you first set the gap, but other than tightening it from time to time, I've never had a problem with it.

Tell me more. Do you simply mean that you need to set the gap the first time, or is there something else that you would need to be careful about? Also, about how many pounds of grain do you put through between tightenings? I've been looking at this model as a supplemental crusher to the MM3 used by my lhbs. Occasionally I have uncrushed grains on hand and need a better way of crushing these than by rolling pin. Any more info you can provide on this grain mill would be great!

I got burned with a cheap mill and returned it. If you scroll to the bottom of this page you'll find posts with similar questions and maybe you can get some inspiration there as well. I can only support what others said - get a good mill from the beginning and cry only once!

JSP Maltmill will put you in that price range they last forever, honor the equipment, and crush great. I'd buy again if this one ever get stolen(it's with me til the end):D

JSP Maltmill will put you in that price range they last forever, honor the equipment, and crush great. I'd buy again if this one ever get stolen(it's with me til the end):D

Same boat for me. I love mine. I really feel the gear driven makes a big difference.

To me it looks like JSP's will easily cost as much as MM or C&S for comparable options (adjustable) once it's delivered. Is there some place that sells them for much less than the manufacturer?

I've been using a Barley Crusher for 2 and a half years and I'm very happy with it. For me it was the right price and came with everything. All I had to do was put a bucket under it and fill it with grain.

To me it looks like JSP's will easily cost as much as MM or C&S for comparable options (adjustable) once it's delivered. Is there some place that sells them for much less than the manufacturer?

You probably won't. My local LHBS sells them for about $15 more than directly through JSP. The ironic thing is - they sell JSP's but guess what they use as their grain mill for customers to crush their grain right there.....a Monster Mill 2. That's somewhat a confusing situation - you want to sell JSPs to homebrewers but you don't use them as a store mill? Personally I would have the mill that I'm selling to homebrewers as proof of how well it works.

You probably won't. My local LHBS sells them for about $15 more than directly through JSP. The ironic thing is - they sell JSP's but guess what they use as their grain mill for customers to crush their grain right there.....a Monster Mill 2. That's somewhat a confusing situation - you want to sell JSPs to homebrewers but you don't use them as a store mill? Personally I would have the mill that I'm selling to homebrewers as proof of how well it works.

People and businesses make 'bad' choices all the time. Know somebody that smokes? Yes/No? How about drinks? Just saying. If you like the crush that comes from one of your LHBS, that might be the mill to get. I know for me that helped me choose.

Back