Im concerned - in middle of brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomelessWook

Reaction score
i heated my mashing water to 160 like directions said - i cut heat off and poured in grain - i didnt get any temp loss - im still sitting at 160 and its been like 13 mins. im freaking out. please tell me im ok :ban:(or at least tell me my beer is ok)

The grain should have absorbed some heat. Check it again. If it doesn't come down, I have used ice cubes before. Just a few. Oh yeah. You're OK.

You can add some cold water and stir it. Just add it by the cup, and keep checking it. That is what I have done when I was too high. The first time I added too much and went too low, so be aware.

i got it down, should i now start another 45min timer or go with the one i have

From what you said, did you add the grains to the water? If so, I was under the impression its best to add the water (little at first then slowly more and more) to the grains. Something about shocking the enzymes.

I always found my temperatures to settle out after 2-3 minutes. Before I would check after about 30 seconds and be freaked out when it wasnt close and I would add either boiling or ice water then found out it was over done. So I once just waited 2 minutes to see and sure enough, I would hit the temps.

How much grain and water did you use? 160 seems a little low and I am shocked you didnt get any temp loss when you added it to the grain. There should have been some.

Are you doing this on the stove or a outdoor boil pot? Could there have been heat stored in whatever the pot is sitting on that kept heating up the water after you added grains? This happened to me a couple weeks ago from my turkey fryer base being hot. Added some ice and it was fine.

old gas stove - in my apt. that is probably what i was.

should i adjust my time and add 10 minutes to the mash since i didnt reach 155 for 10 minutes.

no, red team leader. Stay on target. Stay on target.....

Back