I'm calling this one The Bad Idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsbergFotos

Amatuer
Reaction score
I decided to get a little experimental today, I've got a lot of open 1 gal "carboys" to fill. I got the idea to name it "The Bad Idea?" while grabbing ingredients at the grocery store.

1/2 Gal Mango Juice
1/2 Gal Pomegranate Blueberry Juice
1 Can Pomegranate Blueberry Juice Concentrate
1.5# Cane Sugar
6oz Wild Flower Honey
-----------------------------------
1 Can Mandrian orange slices
1 Can Apricot Halves
0.75# Frozen Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry mix

I was quite surprised at how much sugar I had to add to get the SG to come up. With a half pound of sugar the juice and concentrate only came out to a little over 1.05 I was targeting 1.100 in hopes of my red star montrachet finishing with a little residual sugar. The extra extra sugar and honey got it to 1.088 before the fruit add at the break in the above ingredients list. I've got the fruit sitting in it with pectic enyzme right now and will recheck and establish an OG before pitching in the morning.

For shooting from the hip the "pre-must" has great flavor at the moment, maybe not such a horrible Idea after all.

I'll be sure to keep the updates coming

20170210_173324 (1).jpg

Concentrates 48oz cans
4 grape
1 Strawberry Breeze
1 White Grape Raspberry Juice

1 Apple-Grape-Cherry

60-64oz
white grape mango
1White Cranberry Peach
1White Cranberry Strawberry
1 Cranberry Cherry
3Blueberry Pomegranate
96oz
1Grape
1Apple
3lb of mixed berries (Strawberries, blackberries, blueberries & raspberries)
About 6.5lb white cane sugar 1lb light brown (ran out of white)
Peptic enzyme and yeast nutrient
1.5gal water
18 hours or so later (1.08 reading)
Red Star Pasteur Blanc Champagne Yeast (pack and a half)( 1 gallon jug and a 7.9 gal bucket) 1 day later Smells great so far. (no room for oak chips though)--- and not just welches some are Ocean spray and store brand Smells great still bubbling still day 6

I hope just thought it matched yours a bit (though I will have to try next time some canned fruit(I thought cause of the perseveres they were a no go)

I've done many experiments with these kinds of juice blends/fruit and have never been happy with the results. The refined sugar makes alcohol, but the resulting "hot" or "rocket fuel" notes are something I just can't drink. If the wine doesn't taste too good, rack it to another container and let it age a year or so and see if it mellows.
I've pretty much given up trying to make anything good from store bought juice and these days stick to brewing beer or making wine from good quality wine grapes/juice.

took the SG reading this morning and it dropped to 1.040. I figure that can't be right, some sugar must have settled. So I mix and mix and it stays the same. So I add a little more sugar and mixed and mixed, came all the way up to 1.050. I give up and itch the yeast at this point because something just doesn't seem right. I start cleaning up and then notice that there is water inside my hydrometer. OK great now I know why the SG reading is way low, but uh-oh where the hell did the little bit of glass that broke off the tip end up?

I hope just thought it matched yours a bit (though I will have to try next time some canned fruit(I thought cause of the perseveres they were a no go)

You have to read the cans, most these days are preservative free thanks to angry health conscious moms. Which is why a lot of these canned goods are only good about a year, instead of 3+

I've done many experiments with these kinds of juice blends/fruit and have never been happy with the results. The refined sugar makes alcohol, but the resulting "hot" or "rocket fuel" notes are something I just can't drink. If the wine doesn't taste too good, rack it to another container and let it age a year or so and see if it mellows.
I've pretty much given up trying to make anything good from store bought juice and these days stick to brewing beer or making wine from good quality wine grapes/juice.

This is my first attempt at the Langers brand, but have had good luck with more "premium" brands like Welch's and Indian Summer. Its all in the name of exploration. The guy I bought my wine kit off of gave me just under 200 empty bottles and I've got plenty of room for aging. At a gallon a batch I make some mistakes and try things out :mug:

Curious (as I just did a rack of my batch and tasted... it was good for only month) how is yours coming

I just racked to 2nd last night, had to keep degassing and adding yeast nutrient. This has been the batch that is constantly forgotten about. I accidentally left the fruit in WAY longer than I expected. There has been lots of pulp to deal with even with the fine mesh bag. I meant to rack it the other weekend when I remember it and the little valve piece in my auto siphon fell out and I finally picked up a replacement this Thursday. aThe little sample I tried was pretty good though

Back