I'm a Noob + Zulu Beer project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exekious

Reaction score
Hi, a couple years back I got a Northern Brewers kit and used it once. Living in NC at the time, I found it was just easier to buy beer then to make it. Now I live in RI and my situation has changed.

I'm taking a class on Colonial Wars (Europeans in Africa). For my final project I offered to make Zulu beer called "umqombothi" and explain its cultural significance. I looked up the recipe and it didn't seem to difficult. I'm planning on cutting the below recipe by half so I can use my equipment.

From what I can tell, I need white cornmeal, malted corn and malted wheat. The cornmeal, I'll just pick up from the grocery store.

I'm assuming, I can order malted corn and malted wheat from a brewing supply store?
I'm not sure if what I see on homebrewing store websites is what I need to make the recipe. The youtubes and interwebs are not as enlightening as I had hoped they would be. I appreciate any advise. Otherwise, I'll fall back on making Zulu pineapple beer which is pretty much like making homemade ginger ale.

-------------------
You need these utensils:

25 lt bucket (=6.6 gallons)

2 Imiphongolo (Large containers for liquids, 40 lt or so. You can use buckets if you don’t have large containers.) (=10.5 gallons)

The largest pot you have in your house

Ivovo (sieve)

Ukhamba (calabash) to serve the beer

You need these ingredients:

5 kg mealie meal ...White Cornmeal

2 kg umthombo wombila (maize malt) Malted Corn

4 kg umthombo wamabele (wheat malt)

Cold water

Boiling water

It takes 4 days to make umqombothi using this recipe but don’t worry, your life won’t come to a standstill. Let’s get started.

Day 1

Mix 5 kg mealie meal, 2 kg maize malt and 1 kg wheat malt in the 25 lt bucket.
Add cold water to reach ¾ level of the bucket and add 1 kettle of boiling water.
Mix all the ingredients together and place lid on the bucket. Do not seal the lid, just place it on top.
Leave the mixture to ferment overnight on a mat in a warm room.

Day 2

The mixture should be slightly foamy at the top due to fermentation.
Stir the mixture to mix the ingredients resting at the bottom of the bucket.
Fill the large pot with 3/5 of water and heat it to boiling point.
Slowly add the fermented mixture to the boiling water until it forms the same texture as that of porridge.
Once cooked, empty some of the contents of the pot into the large container and leave a little cooked mixture in the pot.
Slowly add more of the fermented mixture to fill the pot. You will have to keep adding warm water to ensure the porridge is smooth.
Repeat step 5 and 6 until all the fermented contents of the 25 lt bucket are cooked.
Leave the cooked porridge in the large container with the lid on top. Do not seal the lid, just place it on top.
Allow to cool for the rest of the day and overnight.
Day 3

Add the remaining 3 kg wheat malt to the cold porridge mixture and stir the ingredients together.
Leave the cold porridge and wheat malt mix in the large container with the lid on top. Do not seal the lid, just place it on top.
Leave the mixture to ferment overnight on a mat in a warm room.

Day 4

On the morning of day 4, you should have a drink that closely resembles umqombothi. The mixture should have a thick, rich foamy layer flowing out of the container.
Stir the ingredients and brace yourself for one last bout of hard labour.
Ivovo is a woven sieve and it is ideal for brewing umqombothi. Fill it with the mixture and twist to strain the liquid into the second large container.
Empty the sieve of the grains and repeat step 3 until all the mixture is strained.
Bring out ukhamba, the calabash, and serve your umqombothi.

*Juba and Joburg Beer are the commercial versions of umqombothi.

Sub'd. Good luck, carry on.

Malted wheat wont be difficult to find, malted corn might get interesting.

Is this supposed to pick up some wild yeasts?

eBay seems to be the best source for malted corn.
For wheat, I'd use either Briess White Wheat, Colorado White Wheat or Rahr White Wheat.

So do the directions say to ferment it then boil then ferment again?

I'm assuming the malted wheat and corn have bacteria on them and that's how fermentation starts?

I'd like to see how this turns out. Sounds interesting.

Hey buddy, are you from South Africa? If so, you are in luck, as you can buy the proper traditional yeast for African beer at any of the major grocery stores like Checkers or Pick n Pay. You can find it at the baking sections near the bread yeast. And the yeast sometimes has the recipes on the back of them.... The yeast is called brewers yeast, there are a few different brands but find one with the recipie for the type of beer you are making, and follow the instructions. I've been tempted to make unbombo(if I spelt it correctly) , it involves mealie meal as well as brown bread, but I'm scared of the results.

Hey buddy, are you from South Africa?.

No Sir, I live in Rhode Island USA. I'm trying this as a project that is a companion to a college class I am taking on colonial wars. We are looking at mostly British small wars like Boer and Anglo-Zulu wars, and some French foreign legion experiences in north and west Africa.

You probably know we don't have the same wild yeast in the air as they have in South Africa. It will taste a lot different than what they would make in S.A., just like if you try to make a Belgian here using wild yeast instead of real Belgian yeast. I wouldn't try it.

No Sir, I live in Rhode Island USA. I'm trying this as a project that is a companion to a college class I am taking on colonial wars. We are looking at mostly British small wars like Boer and Anglo-Zulu wars, and some French foreign legion experiences in north and west Africa.

oh right! that's pretty cool, so you going to make a traditional beer as part of this project. when do you plan to make this? I could try to post you some dried yeast if you wanted, I'm not sure how long it would take to get there though.

I realize this has a decent probability of not tasting very good. My backup is Zulu pineapple beer which is more like making Ginger ale.

The main point for the class is going through some of the customs. Like what special occasions, how you sit (social order), signal you want more beer or are done, etc.

I have to attempt this in two weeks.

oh right! that's pretty cool, so you going to make a traditional beer as part of this project. when do you plan to make this? I could try to post you some dried yeast if you wanted, I'm not sure how long it would take to get there though.

I'd PayPal you the cost. I will have some local yeast in case it doesn't make it in time. Send me PM if you want to proceed, I'll pm you my address.

If this works, you might have to tell the admins you need a umqombothi forum on here, and you might be distributing a fair amount of yeast that zefbrew sends you.

Are they going to let you bring that stuff on campus, or are you just going to have to take a bunch of pictures of it while you make it and then while it ferments, and just give a presentation on that?

Some colleges are pretty strict with their "dry" policies. Maybe "strict" isn't the right word (I've known a couple campus cops who didn't look very hard), but they might have a problem with a student blatantly bringing in a fermented beverage. Or maybe you're just lucky and go to a wet school.

If this works, you might have to tell the admins you need a umqombothi forum on here, and you might be distributing a fair amount of yeast that zefbrew sends you.

Are they going to let you bring that stuff on campus, or are you just going to have to take a bunch of pictures of it while you make it and then while it ferments, and just give a presentation on that?

Some colleges are pretty strict with their "dry" policies. Maybe "strict" isn't the right word (I've known a couple campus cops who didn't look very hard), but they might have a problem with a student blatantly bringing in a fermented beverage. Or maybe you're just lucky and go to a wet school.

I would bottle it in empty sterlized soda bottles and bring that on campus

I live in South Africa. Umqombothi is a traditional opague beer. Around 3%. Ingredients is typical sorghum malt and maize meal. In parts of South Africa the sorghum malt gets subbed by maize malt. Most chainstores carry commercial sorghum malts. 2 companies produce dry yeast but bakers yeast works well as avb is not high. Usualy the maize meal is cooked then mashed with sorghum and soured overnight. Following day all is cooked and when cold strained new sorghum malt added and fermented. Quite sour but refreshing.

I live in South Africa. Umqombothi is a traditional opague beer. Around 3%. Ingredients is typical sorghum malt and maize meal. In parts of South Africa the sorghum malt gets subbed by maize malt. Most chainstores carry commercial sorghum malts. 2 companies produce dry yeast but bakers yeast works well as avb is not high. Usualy the maize meal is cooked then mashed with sorghum and soured overnight. Following day all is cooked and when cold strained new sorghum malt added and fermented. Quite sour but refreshing.

hi Setsumi, Pretoria resident over here. I sent both examples of traditional beer yeast I bought at Checkers to OP via post. I've never tried any traditional beer myself although I've been tempted to follow one of the recipies found on the back. I couldn't find enough people from my home brew circle who was willing to try, so I abandoned it

hi Setsumi, Pretoria resident over here. I sent both examples of traditional beer yeast I bought at Checkers to OP via post. I've never tried any traditional beer myself although I've been tempted to follow one of the recipies found on the back. I couldn't find enough people from my home brew circle who was willing to try, so I abandoned it

Okay, that would be anchor and ncdp, anchor attenuate better and ndcp makes more fruity flavors. Umqombothi is very different from western styles. You drink it while still fermenting. Traditional brewers does not bottle it.

I often use sorghum malt as part of my grain bill for ales. Last try was in a saison, my brewclub did not like it much.

Okay, that would be anchor and ncdp, anchor attenuate better and ndcp makes more fruity flavors. Umqombothi is very different from western styles. You drink it while still fermenting. Traditional brewers does not bottle it.

I often use sorghum malt as part of my grain bill for ales. Last try was in a saison, my brewclub did not like it much.

I've never tried sorghum malt, I know it's popular with those trying something gluten free. you have any pictures of your beer? and what brew club you in if I may ask?

I'd rather not post a western style beer pic in an thread on umqombothi, the 2 are worlds appart. One can use sorghum malt in any western style beers, a bit darker if you boil it propper. It just take more effort and has a signature taste.
Bloemfontein brewers club.

I'd rather not post a western style beer pic in an thread on umqombothi, the 2 are worlds appart. One can use sorghum malt in any western style beers, a bit darker if you boil it propper. It just take more effort and has a signature taste.
Bloemfontein brewers club.

I was saying, pictures of your umqombothi / process if you had any pictures :) !

Process as learnt from a farm gogo (granny). Mash sorghum malt with luke warm water, guess about 50 to 55 celsius. Keep liquid of this mash and cook the sorghum malt and equal amount of maize meal. Cool down and mash overnight with liquid from fist mash. Heat all to boil, cool down, strain with course strainer. Add 2 to 4 hand of fresh sorghum malt and ferment with yeast of choice in cool place. In SA this can be anything between 18 and 30 celsius. You will have a dark pink opaque beer of around 3% abv. For special occasions you can feed the ferment with cane sugar.

Process as learnt from a farm gogo (granny). Mash sorghum malt with luke warm water, guess about 50 to 55 celsius. Keep liquid of this mash and cook the sorghum malt and equal amount of maize meal. Cool down and mash overnight with liquid from fist mash. Heat all to boil, cool down, strain with course strainer. Add 2 to 4 hand of fresh sorghum malt and ferment with yeast of choice in cool place. In SA this can be anything between 18 and 30 celsius. You will have a dark pink opaque beer of around 3% abv. For special occasions you can feed the ferment with cane sugar.

Very cool!

I'm awaiting the arrival of this yeast. As a backup, I have champagne yeast in case it doesn't get here by the deadline...however, I WILL make another batch whenever I get it just to see if I can tell the difference.

Craft Brew Supplies in Rhode Island was a great resource. Through the magic of Science! they explained how to shorten the steps without impacting the result. I got flaked corn, malted wheat, yeast and an enzyme in case I want to hurry things along a little. I am going to make a batch this weekend and see how it turns out.

I'm awaiting the arrival of this yeast. As a backup, I have champagne yeast in case it doesn't get here by the deadline...however, I WILL make another batch whenever I get it just to see if I can tell the difference.

Craft Brew Supplies in Rhode Island was a great resource. Through the magic of Science! they explained how to shorten the steps without impacting the result. I got flaked corn, malted wheat, yeast and an enzyme in case I want to hurry things along a little. I am going to make a batch this weekend and see how it turns out.

very cool, awesome when shops can give advice. I would avoid using champagne yeast and enzymes as you want a low abv

So, I got the yeast yesterday. The recipe on the back appears easy to follow. Unfortunately, either South Africa or USA cut open the envelope to see what was inside and cut one of the packets too.

So, I got the yeast yesterday. The recipe on the back appears easy to follow. Unfortunately, either South Africa or USA cut open the envelope to see what was inside and cut one of the packets too.

You can file a claim for shipping damage. They can inspect, but they can't damage the contents during the inspection.

awesome! sucks that they cut the yeast packet open :(, at least there is more than 1 :)

There were several packets. I'll give it a whirl soon. My first batch with champagne yeast is somewhat horrifying. It's gritty like it's supposed to be, but not sure if it's even in the right ball park. I know one person who has had this stuff before and he will try it tomorrow and tell me how bad it is. Version two will use the correct yeast and go according to the package.

There were several packets. I'll give it a whirl soon. My first batch with champagne yeast is somewhat horrifying. It's gritty like it's supposed to be, but not sure if it's even in the right ball park. I know one person who has had this stuff before and he will try it tomorrow and tell me how bad it is. Version two will use the correct yeast and go according to the package.

You have an update on your champagne yeast version? Still fermenting?

I will post something longer shortly.

Short version, my professors both tasted it and said my champagne version was pretty close! It certainly looks right and he joked that it needed a woman's touch.

Only issue was that I burned the corn meal so it has a mild smoky after taste. I'll explain our process once I get home and can post pics.

You can easily splice modern brewing techniques and achieve similar results.

MTF

Your profs have tried this stuff before? Nifty.

Did the flavor change between the comments you made earlier about it being "horrifying" and when you brought some in to share?

Your profs have tried this stuff before? Nifty.

Did the flavor change between the comments you made earlier about it being "horrifying" and when you brought some in to share?

My professor has been to the continent several times for research. I think it doesn't taste good, almost everyone in my class thought it was bad too. Apparently, that is how it's supposed to be. It is not like the European clear beer that most of us are used to brewing. I wish I had the real thing to compare it too.

Compared to the original recipe, I changed it up a little.

First, I boiled all the grains and the corn meal on day one. I used Quaker White Corn Meal, malted corn flakes, and malted wheat (bries). I then used a bucket of snow to cool the porridge to 70 degrees. Transferred this lovely stuff to a fermenting bucket and pitched the yeast. I let it sit for four days while it happily fermented. On day for I removed the beer and strained the porridge into my second bucket. That was a bit of work since corn meal is so thick. A couple days later I transferred the umqombothi to some growlers.

Very simple though not what I expected. :mug:

Back