Illuminate your fermentations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sulli

Reaction score
My new carboy stirrer, for high gravity beers or meads. The lights are just for kicks, they get turned off during fermentation :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it will skunk hop oils, but read this: Light effects in yeast: inhibition by visible light of growth and transport in Saccharomyces cerevisiae grown at low temperatures.

Certain light at certain temps can cause inhibition. I wouldn't risk it personally. Also-why is there a 6.5 gallon stir plate? Why would you ever need that big of a starter?

Interesting paper. I always thought it was just ultraviolet light that hurt the yeast. I'm glad I put the light on a separate switch so I can turn it off during fermentation. :eek:
As to stirring a 5 gallon batch of beer, check out this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/5-gallon-stir-plate-274067/

Interesting. I thought it would oxidize, but it makes sense that with an airlock everything would be fine. Have you noticed that it speeds up your fermentations?

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, I just finished building it today. The lights are mostly just for kicks. The thread I referenced above is the reason I built the thing, I want to make a 10 gallon batch and split it into two carboys, and ferment one on the stir plate, so I can see if there is any difference in taste. I like the idea of fermenting mead on one of these, hopefully they don't have any negative side effects.

Would you mind sharing the info for the parts for your build? I'm specifically interested in the fan you used. In the other thread he mentions using a PWM server fan. I'm thinking about hooking one up to an arduino. Also, the other thread the guy extremely underpitched with an un-rehydrated dry yeast packet. I'd be interested to find out the results if the correct amount of yeast was used. Just my 2 cents. I was actually thinking this would be great for mead too ..

Id only use the stirplate fermenter for the first 24 to36 hours. After that it will introduce too much oxygen

Id only use the stirplate fermenter for the first 24 to36 hours. After that it will introduce too much oxygen
Once you install the bung and airlock in the top of the carboy, it's exit only. The yeast use up what oxygen there is in the fermenter, and the airlock keeps any more from getting in.

Would you mind sharing the info for the parts for your build? I'm specifically interested in the fan you used. In the other thread he mentions using a PWM server fan. I'm thinking about hooking one up to an arduino. Also, the other thread the guy extremely underpitched with an un-rehydrated dry yeast packet. I'd be interested to find out the results if the correct amount of yeast was used. Just my 2 cents. I was actually thinking this would be great for mead too ..

Sure, I would be happy to share. I disassembled a small floor fan, removed the motor, and mounted it in the plywood enclosure. Since the fan motor runs on 120 volts, I just bought a standard light dimmer from Ace hardware and wired it up. I removed the fan blades from the hub assembly and glued a nylon washer to the center to hold my magnets. I picked up a pair of 5/8 x 5/8 neodymium magnets from K&J Magnetics The magnets need to be very strong, as the resistance from such a large volume of liquid tends to decouple the stir bar from the magnets.

Here are a few photos https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/32177750/1/Stir%20Plate?h=458840

The 12 volt transformer runs the LED lights.

Back