IIPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeldustmite

Reaction score
Hey guys
So this is the first all grain recipe I've designed myself and was wondering if I could get some feedback. The only part I don't have written is the mash steps. I have those in my head, along with temps and everything, just having difficulty translating it into my software. This is for a 1 gallon batch. The hops bill is something I wanted to do a little differently, as opposed to the usual 3 additions I've done with my other kit batches.

Basic Information
Batch Name:Chuckles
Brewed By:angeldustmite
Style:Imperial IPA
Batch Size:1.00 gal
Boil Time:60 min
Initial Boil Volume:1.1 gal
Mash Method:All Grain
Brew Date:4/14/14
My Rating:0/10

Typical Style Characteristics
Style:Imperial IPA
O.G.1.070 - 1.090
F.G.1.010 - 1.020
ABV7.5 - 10.0
IBU60 - 120
SRM8 - 15°L
Color

Calculated & Measured Statistics
Calculated O.G.1.088 (70% Efficiency)
Calculated F.G.1.025 (72% Yeast Attenuation)
Measured O.G.0.000 (0% Actual Efficiency)
Measured F.G.0.000 (0% Actual Attenuation)
ABV9.1%
IBU87.4
SRM7.1°L
Color

Malt Bill
Malt NameWeightPPGSRMType
2-Row Malt - 2.0°L2.70 lbs1.0382.00Mashed Grain
Corn Sugar - 0°L0.30 lbs1.0420.00Extract/Adjunct
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L0.10 lbs1.03440.00Mashed Grain
Caramel Pils– 6°L0.05 lbs1.0366.00Mashed Grain

Hop Bill
Hop NameTime AddedWeightAA%Type
Amarillo60 min4.00 g8.5%Pellet Hop
Columbus50 min4.00 g13.5%Pellet Hop
Zythos40 min4.00 g11.0%Pellet Hop
Columbus30 min4.00 g13.5%Pellet Hop
Amarillo20 min4.00 g8.5%Pellet Hop
Zythos10 min4.00 g11.0%Pellet Hop
Columbus0 min3.00 g13.5%Pellet Hop
Zythos0 min3.00 g11.0%Pellet Hop
Amarillo0 min3.00 g8.5%Pellet Hop

Yeast Details
Yeast StrandQuantityAttenuationFlocculation
Safale US-05 Fermentis Dry Ale.572Low– Medium

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's a really high fg for an iipa. And I know hop utilization is not linear when scaling up but with 4 grams of hops for most of the hop additions that's a tad over an ounce per addition..it needs more hops.. I would also move all but the 60 minute additon and maybe the 40 or 30 minute addition to less then 20 minutes,

I am by no means an expert at this but I've brewed a lot of ipas and this seems to be the norm. I just brewed 20 gallons of this http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/03/pliny-younger-clone-20.html and I still have 3 more hop additions to go but it's definitely going to be a gooder!

What would be the best way to bring it down? I was trying to get it to about 1.015 or so.

Assuming your predicted og is correct then for one that 9.1 prediction will obviously be low, it'll instead be 9.7 and if it attenuates down to 1.015... isn't necessarily a bad thing but your in the realm where most people say you really need to be aerating your wort with at bare minimum an aquarium air pump... or better yet a pure o2 setup with a diffusion stone.

Basically your gonna need a low mash temp, proper pitch rate , oxygenation system, and you might want to consider looking into making a simple syrup and adding it when high krausen starts to subside....

I just reread your post and realized this is your first all grain... I'm probably getting a wee bit to technical for you I'm sorry about that but after spending over $200 on that pliny clone I am filled with new knowledge I've read about.

Wow. I'm thinking I might scale this down to a regular IPA, or go back to the drawing board all together and do a little more research. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and should start a wee bit simpler. I don't have an aquarium pump or diffusion stone at the moment. Just got a bunch of grains, yeast, and hops from NB and wanted to try brewing something other than a pre made kit. Thanks for your help though, definitely saved me from a potential disaster. Maybe I'll do a post with what I have for ingredients later on and see if there's anything simpler I can concoct with a little help. Thanks again man!

Wow. I'm thinking I might scale this down to a regular IPA, or go back to the drawing board all together and do a little more research. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and should start a wee bit simpler. I don't have an aquarium pump or diffusion stone at the moment. Just got a bunch of grains, yeast, and hops from NB and wanted to try brewing something other than a pre made kit. Thanks for your help though, definitely saved me from a potential disaster. Maybe I'll do a post with what I have for ingredients later on and see if there's anything simpler I can concoct with a little help. Thanks again man!

Even if you had all that stuff I still think your making a wise choice...

My first (and a lot of people I think) ag was https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Another popular one is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/da-yoopers-house-pale-ale-100304/

Light grain bill and hop additions are minimal = low cost/ risk if something goes wrong. Now get to brewing some all grain brews! :mug:

Back