Igothops.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yo beeyotches....

check out what I picked in my garden today...

igothops.jpg

Booyakasha!!!!!

Oh yeah? I found this growing over by the picnic table...

2639-botany.jpg

At work! I suppose it grows wild down here though...

Sweet looking cone Dude, I can hardly wait for mine next year.

I have been thinking about growing my own hops. Would a 9 foot eve be enough room for hops to go up if I slanted the string at 45 degrees? Also going to have to get 9 feet of 3 foot high fence to keep my dog out of it.... hops + dog = dead dog. :( Living in the Wilamette valley, Salem OR, what varieties would turn out best. Mt. Hood, Cascade or Wilamette maybe? I know that eventhough one might get the same seeds farmers use for their crops east kent goldings grown in east kent county in england will turn out different than when grown anywhere else. So, what varieties would turn out best for my geographic location? And what hops might have the most radical differances? (would be a fun to grow hops out of their traditional region >=)

Way cool Dude!!

LMFAO Cheyco! Edit: My guess is that some of your co-workers were rolling one and pitched the seeds onto the ground...probably how a lot of it grows "wild" in Canada :p

Grimsy- Go to freshops.com and read what Dave has to say about local hops. You can purchase rhyzomes in April. Since his hop farm is in Philomath, there is no chance of them drying out. There are also many hop farms just north of you, but I don't think most of them do retail.

9 feet is enough. Hops can kill, but most of the flowers will be near the top of the plant and you can strip the lower side branches before they bloom. The only cases I've been able to confirm involved dogs eating all of the spent hops from a brewing run. It's like chocolate, dangerous, but it takes a fairly large amount to kill.

By the way, Hop Madness is Aug. 26-27 over in Brooks. I'll be there and many of the attendees grow their own hops.

Exo said:
Way cool Dude!!

LMFAO Cheyco! Edit: My guess is that some of your co-workers were rolling one and pitched the seeds onto the ground...probably how a lot of it grows "wild" in Canada :p

When we lived in Iowa, we went away on vacation once--came back a couple weeks later to see a 7-foot tall pot plant growing beside the house.

I guess it had been there a little while and we just hadn't seen it, but apparently this wasn't that unusual. A fair amount of MAry Jane was grown there back oin the day (easy to hide in corn fiels) and the seeds are definitely around in the ecosystem now.

The found like one hundred some odd plants growing in one of my grandfather's old cornfields when I was in college, maybe two hundred yards from my folks' house. Of course, it wasn't gramps' weed (he may have actually already passed away by then), growers will use existing corn fields as cover for their activities. Of course, I never *knew* about this particular piece of horticulture until it was on the front page of the newspaper.

I remember too that day that a bunch of cops came into the convenience store to buy Gatorade and such, looked out the window and their pickup truck was FILLED completely with pot plants they had taken out. Like, a big pickup, completely overflowing. Frickin' a....

david_42 said:
Grimsy- Go to freshops.com and read what Dave has to say about local hops. You can purchase rhyzomes in April. Since his hop farm is in Philomath, there is no chance of them drying out. There are also many hop farms just north of you, but I don't think most of them do retail.

9 feet is enough. Hops can kill, but most of the flowers will be near the top of the plant and you can strip the lower side branches before they bloom. The only cases I've been able to confirm involved dogs eating all of the spent hops from a brewing run. It's like chocolate, dangerous, but it takes a fairly large amount to kill.

By the way, Hop Madness is Aug. 26-27 over in Brooks. I'll be there and many of the attendees grow their own hops.
Thanks for the info David_42, much appreciated. That sounds like a fun camp-out! Maybe next year when I have the rest of my brew equipment (stuff to brew outside, etc) I'll make that trip. Do you know of any farms around here that sell hops/malt/etc... that a homebrewer could pick up at a good price? Do people show up at saturday market in salem with hops/malted barly/etc?:)

Latest posts

Back