Igloo Cooler Mash Tun Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awiens

Reaction score
As a new user of cooler mash tuns, I have a potentially silly question: how do I get any stuck grain out from under the edge of the false bottom? I have a few pieces stuck. Thanks for humoring me.

I actually remove my false bottom between uses, and clean it separately. Having failed to do so on one occasion, I have no desire to meet the kind of sour mess I had that next brew day.

I am a bit concerned about it scratching up the sides of the cooler, though, especially since it doesn't quite fit it neatly, instead being wedged in a bit above the floor of the cooler and often with a pronounced tilt. While scratching is unlikely to cause serious issues - it is hot-side equipment, after all - I don't want it to lower it's longevity.

I'd just remove the false bottom to rinse it out, and wash it. I wouldn't worry about scratches. Mine has lots of scratches from spoons but no longevity issues yet.

Back