Igloo cooler is losing a lot of heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I have an igloo cooler that is losing a lot of heat now it seems, when I first got it I probably lost 2 degrees over an hour, but now I think I'm losing 5-6 degrees after 6 batches. It's the igloo cube cooler from target, which only cost me $19 so I'm thinking of replacing it at this point.

Oh yeah and I insulate like crazy with towels around it and styrofoam on the bottom.

What are the chances water got behind your fittings and soaked the insulation?

Did you insulate the lid? Using a cooler to keep things cold is much different than using it to keep things hot. Heat (or heated air, I suppose) rises and the Ice Cube lids are just hollow plastic with not insulation inside. Most of the heat loss will be through the lid. I mitigated this problem with some Tough Stuff expanding floam insulation. I would recommend the low expansion type if you go this route. I drilled four 1/4" holes through the edge of the lid on each side to inject the foam. This really made a difference.

How much head space do you have between the top of your mash and the lid?

You might need to add a "float". Cut a piece of 3/4" foam board to fit inside the cooler fairly snugly. Add a cable tie handle. Cover it with suran wrap when you brew.

I do 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon cooler and lose less than a degree in an hour.

:rockin:

I use a simple false floating lid of aluminum foil, I set it about 2 inchs above the top level of the mash. Helps keep my temps steady, and almost zero loss of the course of an hour.

How much head space do you have between the top of your mash and the lid?

You might need to add a "float". Cut a piece of 3/4" foam board to fit inside the cooler fairly snugly. Add a cable tie handle. Cover it with suran wrap when you brew.

I do 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon cooler and lose less than a degree in an hour.

:rockin:

Excellent idea! I lost 8 degrees on my first AG, and was trying to figure out why. It's a 20 gallon cooler! I've got styrofoam and cable ties ready to go!

Have you changed your process in any way? Are you preheating the cooler?

I was experiencing 5-6 degree losses in mine until I started preheating.

+2 to preheating...and how you do it is important, too (I think!)

My old method: Heat up mash water to 180, add it all to MT, let it preheat until it comes to strike temp then add grains.

I never really got good at hitting my mash temp right on the money.

My new method: Heat up mash water plus extra couple of gallons. When hot enough, add first couple of gallons to MT to heat (10-15 minutes), dump, then start mixing mash water (at strike temp) and grains to start mash.

I start with about 85-90% of my mash water, add grains, mix and let sit for 5 minutes. Check temp and adjust if necessary (cold water or more mash water). Seems to work better.

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I think the only thing I can think of is the insulated top idea. I didn't even think of heat escaping out of the top, oddly enough. I already heat 2 gallons extra to 190 deg, add the preheating water, then let it sit until the rest of water goes down to about 10 over strike temp then I throw out the preheating water, and throw in my grain + strike water.

Yes, a lot of heat escapes through an uninsulated lid. I did not realize how much until I put some hot water in mine and a short time later I could feel the lid getting hot to the touch. Filling the lid with the expanding foam insulation fixed it.

Back