Igloo 7.1 cu ft Chest Freezer size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. It had a similar freezer to this one, but not the same.

I ended up buying it. I got it in black, and for $148 on sale (new). It fits 3 corneys in the botto.

I have the same one. I thought I could get 4 BL cornies in it, but it will only fit 3. I just ordered a 3g corny from AIH and I think that will go well on the step inside the freezer. I think I'll make the 3G my stout tank...

Anyway, it works nice and I'm building a collar and adding a CO2 manifold this weekend.

good luck!

I have the same one. I thought I could get 4 BL cornies in it, but it will only fit 3. I just ordered a 3g corny from AIH and I think that will go well on the step inside the freezer. I think I'll make the 3G my stout tank...

Anyway, it works nice and I'm building a collar and adding a CO2 manifold this weekend.

good luck!
Same to you. I started a thread about building this keezer. Feel free to post your pics there and give me your advice/experience building a collar.

I bought this one in July. I can fit 4 ball lock kegs in it without a collar. I am working on a collar that will be tall enough to allow me to put 2 more kegs on the compressor shelf for a total of 6 kegs. Mine has been great since day 1. The fact that you can turn the temp to refrigerate is great. My kegs sit at a comfortable 40*F without an additional temperature controller.

good luck!

I bought this one in July. I can fit 4 ball lock kegs in it without a collar. I am working on a collar that will be tall enough to allow me to put 2 more kegs on the compressor shelf for a total of 6 kegs. Mine has been great since day 1. The fact that you can turn the temp to refrigerate is great. My kegs sit at a comfortable 40*F without an additional temperature controller.

So is it 3 or 4 BL(s) without a collar? Maybe redwing has the CO2 in the freezer and CA Mouse has the CO2 outside??

I'm thinking of picking one of these up tonight. Can't beat the price.

So is it 3 or 4 BL(s) without a collar? Maybe redwing has the CO2 in the freezer and CA Mouse has the CO2 outside??

I'm thinking of picking one of these up tonight. Can't beat the price.

I have the C02 in freezer for now, but there is not (at least on mine) enough room for 4 BL cornies.... I thought there would be, but it's just too small by a smidge..

I did order some 3 g. cornies the other day that I will use for Stouts, Porters and other beers not traditionally enjoyed by friends and family (too bad for them, good for me!).

Redwing, is the reason you can't fit 4 because you have the CO2 in the freezer? Would you be able to if you didn't have the tank in there?

Redwing, is the reason you can't fit 4 because you have the CO2 in the freezer? Would you be able to if you didn't have the tank in there?

no, the CO2 does not interfere with the kegs, it's on the shelf in the freezer.. but when I use the 3G kegs I ordered, I will take it out and set the 3G on the shelf and that should be sufficient.

I see. Thanks for the info.

I'm debating between buying a couple of these, borrowing a pickup from someone, and driving 1 hour each way (possibly twice) to pick them up, or using my Lowe's employee discount and spending an extra $20 for the Idylis which I can pickup locally.

I'm getting conflicting reports on both models as far as holding capacity.

I fit 4 in mine. Here is a pic with 3 and you can see that I have plenty of space for the 4th one.

20140706_140455.jpg

I just bought one of the black Igloos ones from wally world AND (2) BL kegs from Kegconnection. Got to love Cyber Monday!! :mug:

I see. Thanks for the info.

I'm debating between buying a couple of these, borrowing a pickup from someone, and driving 1 hour each way (possibly twice) to pick them up, or using my Lowe's employee discount and spending an extra $20 for the Idylis which I can pickup locally.

I'm getting conflicting reports on both models as far as holding capacity.

I actually just bought the 7.1 idylis this past weekend from lowes ($198). I took my 9" cardboard cutouts to make sure 3 ball locks would fit, and they did with room to spare. Got it home and tested with the actual kegs and was able to squeeze 4 in there. It is a very tight fit and they are wedged in there, but 4 ball locks do fit in the 7.1 ft idylis. Now I have to change my plan from 3 taps to 4, and get 2 more kegs to get me to 8. I'm not sure why I feel the need to have twice as many kegs as I will taps, but I do. Hopefully that idylis will hold up, I took the chance on it over the GE.

Not having to get a temp controller is a plus. My question is, Does it have a refrigerator setting or did you have to adjust the thermostats course screw? I was unable to find info about that on the spec sheets. Thanks for any info.

I fit 4 in mine. Here is a pic with 3 and you can see that I have plenty of space for the 4th one.

Can you look up the exact model you have? I can not fit 4 kegs, I've tried.. I would also like to see what setting you have your thermostat on because, I was not able to turn it low enough so not to freeze. I have had to use a Johnson Controls A419 to manage temperature.

Jmcquesten, are you able to squeeze 4 on the floor or 3 on the floor and 1 on the hump?

I was able to fit 4 in the floor. It is an extremely tight fit, but they fit. They are wedged in tight against the walls and each other. I would think after a while, the walls might dent in a little and loosen up the fit. My ball lock kegs are a weak 9" in diameter, almost 8 - 7/8". I don't know if all ball locks would fit, especially new ones, but mine do. Again, it is a very very tight fit.

I was able to fit 4 in the floor. It is an extremely tight fit, but they fit. They are wedged in tight against the walls and each other. I would think after a while, the walls might dent in a little and loosen up the fit. My ball lock kegs are a weak 9" in diameter, almost 8 - 7/8". I don't know if all ball locks would fit, especially new ones, but mine do. Again, it is a very very tight fit.

How long have you had them in there? Any issues with freezing?

I saw another post where someone had an issue with their kegs freezing up. They had to put something between the keg and the wall of the freezer where all the cooling lines are running.

If they are touching the walls of the freezer, I would keep an eye out for that...

I wonder if that is just a problem at mid to lower 30's or if that's an issue for someone who plans on keeping his kegs around 40 as well?

I wonder if that is just a problem at mid to lower 30's or if that's an issue for someone who plans on keeping his kegs around 40 as well?

You would think?? But the guy who posted said his keezer stays right at 40 deg inside.

The sides of the freezer, where the cooling lines run, get much colder when the freezer kicks on and circulates the coolant. Maybe he just had a cold spot in his??

How long have you had them in there? Any issues with freezing?

I saw another post where someone had an issue with their kegs freezing up. They had to put something between the keg and the wall of the freezer where all the cooling lines are running.

If they are touching the walls of the freezer, I would keep an eye out for that...

I actually just bought the freezer Saturday and haven't even plugged it in yet. I got it for a temporary lagering chamber for a couple batches, then it will switch over to a Keezer. I will have to watch for that freezing issue. I'll probably set my temperature controller to 42, but it makes sense that the coolant lines would be a lot colder. Once I get kegging, I'll start with cobra taps at first to verify it works right before permanently installing 3 or 4 faucets.

Not having to get a temp controller is a plus. My question is, Does it have a refrigerator setting or did you have to adjust the thermostats course screw? I was unable to find info about that on the spec sheets. Thanks for any info.

Mine actually has a Refridgerate setting. At the warmest setting it keep my kegs a nice 40*F even when my garage temp was 122*F.

Can you look up the exact model you have? I can not fit 4 kegs, I've tried.. I would also like to see what setting you have your thermostat on because, I was not able to turn it low enough so not to freeze. I have had to use a Johnson Controls A419 to manage temperature.

I had to look it up again. It appears that I got the 7.2 CuFt, not the 7.1 that I thought I ordered. So my score! paid for the 7.1 and got the 7.2

Yep, 3 kegs on the bottom. I'm going to place a 4th one on the ledge where the compressor is. I'll need a 2x8 collar to make it fit though.

Plus, the ledge is big enough to place a carboy for fermentation. It isn't wide enough to cover the entire bottom of the carboy, but it is long enough for it to securely rest on it (I can use a keg on the bottom to help keep it in place if I need).

And, I should probably be able to siphon from the carboy without moving it (another plus).

Wallyworld.com tried to hose me. I received an e-mail today saying they canceled my order because the location did not have any stock. So I tried to re-order but of course the price is back up to $189. I called the customer service line and was on hold for 15 minutes then someone dropped my call... :mad:

So I called a local brick & mortar wallyworld and told them my story. They checked their stock and had one left. They pulled it off the shelf and saved it for me so I could go pick it up. And they did honor the $148 Cyber Monday price..

Crisis averted... :)

I actually just bought the 7.1 idylis this past weekend from lowes ($198). I took my 9" cardboard cutouts to make sure 3 ball locks would fit, and they did with room to spare. Got it home and tested with the actual kegs and was able to squeeze 4 in there. It is a very tight fit and they are wedged in there, but 4 ball locks do fit in the 7.1 ft idylis. Now I have to change my plan from 3 taps to 4, and get 2 more kegs to get me to 8. I'm not sure why I feel the need to have twice as many kegs as I will taps, but I do. Hopefully that idylis will hold up, I took the chance on it over the GE.

Ah good to hear. I've been scoping out that same one, the Idylis 7.1 and thinking of getting it online today. How's it working for you so far?

Back