If you're traveling to Mozambique, BYOB (Homebrew kills 70)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note:

Authorities believe that the drink was poisoned with crocodile bile during the course of the funeral.

Mourners who drank the beer in the morning reported no illness, while those who drank the beer in the afternoon, fell ill...

Wow... nope.

It'll be interesting to hear what they put in that/how it happened.

It happened in Mozambique and it was all kind of ingredients mixed in a steel drum. It could have been caused by something that was previously stored in the drum or bad ingredients. This is not remotely related to the standard homebrewing of beer.

Pathogens may not survive in alcohol but poison is poison. Have they got the results back yet? Would be interesting to know what was added as that was the true catalyst.

wait....you;re telling me that starsan cant combat the digestive fluids of what is essentially a living dinosaur? aww man...

Yeah... sounds like crocodile bile alone is not the culprit here.

Based on field tests with mice... and a baboon, for good measure.

I would just be on the look out for drunken crocodiles that aren't potty trained. A new meaning to spiking the beer. The fact it tasted like Bud, should have raised a red flag with people.

Apparently, someone spiked the beer during the event because the first drinkers were not affected. Only the ones that drank it later.

Oh wow, this is such a tragic and unfortunate story. I'm traveling to South Africa in October, which is pretty close to Mozambique. I'll be sure not to sample any homebrew during my travels.

Oh wow, this is such a tragic and unfortunate story. I'm traveling to South Africa in October, which is pretty close to Mozambique. I'll be sure not to sample any homebrew during my travels.

You'd be fine to do so, unless you get a crazy person that wants to poison you.

Let's not forget that beer is safer to drink than water.

.....not to mention it's not really "beer" it's basically hooch..... I think this may be why some people equate what we do to the whole 'bathtub gin' thing, and distilling. They called it homebrew, and we call ourselves homebrewers.....

I wouldn't even drink the water from that sh*thole country........

Somebody obviously poisoned it intentionally, i.e. this was a criminal act.

And what gives you, or anyone else for that matter, the right to stand holier than thou? The fact that you settled into a land that wasn't yet under imperial control, systematically killed off or imprisoned the indigenous population and wildlife, imported AND exported slave labor to build the economy, and should I go on?

I wouldn't even drink the water from that sh*thole country........

LOL - I know about a dozen people who have been there (peace corps, Habitat trips, mission trips) and they LOVED it. Admittedly, sanitation is an issue whether in ref to sewage or clean running water.....

Now someplace within 150 miles of DC .... there's a cesspool :ban:

The fact that you settled into a land that wasn't yet under imperial control, systematically killed off or imprisoned the indigenous population and wildlife, imported AND exported slave labor to build the economy, and should I go on?

That would make him kind of old wouldn't it?

american_flag.gif

That would make him kind of old wouldn't it?

Ambiguous semantics - the joy of playing with language!

Fact is that we all stand on the shoulders of our ancestors. The other fact is that the only reason the seaman's act of 1915 was actually enforceable was due to the switchover to steam powered marine transportation.

Here I go again, making tangential comments. I'm sorry, but we are all citizens of this world regardless of political and cultural boundaries.

Fact is that we all stand on the shoulders of our ancestors. The other fact is that the only reason the seaman's act of 1915 was actually enforceable was due to the switchover to steam powered marine transportation.

Here I go again, making tangential comments. I'm sorry, but we are all citizens of this world regardless of political and cultural boundaries.

Seamen.

Tragic event. But the "evidence" supporting the toxicity of this poor, innocent reptile's bile to the extent it killed this many people is --- IMO ---

a "croc".

Somebody obviously poisoned it intentionally, i.e. this was a criminal act.

And what gives you, or anyone else for that matter, the right to stand holier than thou? The fact that you settled into a land that wasn't yet under imperial control, systematically killed off or imprisoned the indigenous population and wildlife, imported AND exported slave labor to build the economy, and should I go on?

Pot, before you scream about the color of the kettle you'd be wise to consider your own country's history.

Tan genital.

Wait... nope. Sorry.

Back