If you like/Then you'll like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knittycat

Reaction score
Is there a place that will suggest good beers to brew based on commercial beers you already like?

Here. Ask for clone recipes or something similar to "X". There are so many recipes that members have added and then there are probably 10 times more recipes with the members on their computers. Just ask us. :mug:

You can look at the BJCP style guidelines. They have some commercial examples listed for each brew style so if you like one dopplebock you could try another one.

But I was going to suggest "here" as well. Most of us are pretty big beer geeks and I'd guess that between all of us we've had most of the beer styles, if not each individual brand (what beer do they have in Papua New Guinea? :drunk:) in the world.

Ah, but I don't want clones. I want to branch out, but I don't want to spend 30 dollars on a batch of beer I hate.

I like
Shiner Bock

Shiner Dortmunder

Celebrator dopplebock

Paulener....uh...what I get with schnitzle

I liked the flavor of Rasputin (I think it was a stout) but the 9% ABV was too much for me to finish a bottle.

ETA: I figure I'd add what I don't like too. You can learn as much about what someone likes by knowing what they don't like as what they do.
I don't care for
Shiner Hefewizen, too sour

I really dislike Miller High Life (not my choice, it was offered to me at a birthday party)

Ummmm, that's all I can think of right now. Thanks in advance!

Ah, but I don't want clones. I want to branch out, but I don't want to spend 30 dollars on a batch of beer I hate.

I hate to say it, but it's kind of inevitable with home brewing. You are going to brew a batch you don't like. I have brewed batches of beer that I don't particularly care for. It happens I hate to say.

I like
Shiner Bock

Shiner Dortmunder

Celebrator dopplebock

I liked the flavor of Rasputin (I think it was a stout) but the 9% ABV was too much for me to finish a bottle.

ETA: I figure I'd add what I don't like too. You can learn as much about what someone likes by knowing what they don't like as what they do.
I don't care for

I really dislike Miller High Life (not my choice, it was offered to me at a birthday party)

Unless you can lager, which most new brewers can't, then Bock's are out of the question as is Miller High Life. A stout you can do.

I like
Shiner Bock

Shiner Dortmunder

Celebrator dopplebock

I don't care for

That's a good start! Since you like malty beers, why not try Rogue's Dead Guy? It's different than the beers you mentioned, so it would be branching out without going so far out there that it would shock your taste buds!

Another choice is Newcastle. Oh, I know that many beersnobs turn their nose up at it, but if you like Shiner bock, you may find that you like English brown ale too. It's different, but not wildly so and the color is very similar. Its a pretty good beer to try to see if you like mildly flavored beers with an English sort of character.

Both of them are easily done as extract batches (I happen to have recipes posted for both I guess) but you could even purchase either of them to see if you like that style. The English brown I have posted isn't really a "clone" of Newcastle, but it's similar. The Dead Guy I have posted IS a clone.

That's a good start! Since you like malty beers, why not try Rogue's Dead Guy? It's different than the beers you mentioned, so it would be branching out without going so far out there that it would shock your taste buds!

Another choice is Newcastle. Oh, I know that many beersnobs turn their nose up at it, but if you like Shiner bock, you may find that you like English brown ale too. It's different, but not wildly so and the color is very similar. Its a pretty good beer to try to see if you like mildly flavored beers with an English sort of character.

Both of them are easily done as extract batches (I happen to have recipes posted for both I guess) but you could even purchase either of them to see if you like that style. The English brown I have posted isn't really a "clone" of Newcastle, but it's similar. The Dead Guy I have posted IS a clone.

Fab. I'll start saving my pennies for the ingredients :D

Try my Southern English brown ale in my recipe section. Awesome stuff that everyone I have given too is asking for more. Make sure it's a full boil if possible. I just tried to do a 10 gallon split batch and went lower on my OG which won't meet the taste of my original batch. 2 months and it's nectar.

There are other hefe's out there you might like. Widmer has one that isn't too bad, and I am not a fan of wheat beers.

If you can't lager, you might enjoy hybrid beers like German Altbier or California common.

Oh, and I really didn't like Captain Bastard Oatmeal Stout. Bitterbitterbitter. Almost to the point of gaggy-ness.
Guinness tastes like iron, I won't drink it.
Becks is so-so, but it smells like feet.

Ok, so I like hoppy beers. That's good to know.

Part of the problem is that I know what beers I like, but I don't know the terms associated with the various flavors. It's one thing to say "This is a hoppy beer" and it's another thing to drink it.

Oh, and I really didn't like Captain Bastard Oatmeal Stout. Bitterbitterbitter. Almost to the point of gaggy-ness.
Guinness tastes like iron, I won't drink it.
Becks is so-so, but it smells like feet.

Ok, so I like hoppy beers. That's good to know.

Part of the problem is that I know what beers I like, but I don't know the terms associated with the various flavors. It's one thing to say "This is a hoppy beer" and it's another thing to drink it.

You do not seem to like hoppy beers! If you like the beers you mentioned like Shiner Bock, Dopplebock, etc, you most certainly don't taste any hops in those beers.

You can also join a local brew club. There are three that I know of in your (my) area. You'll get to taste more different styles at the first meeting than you probably know exist. It's a great way to expand your horizons and get help with recipes/techniques.

PM me and I'll send you info on the group I visit (hint: it rhymes with astronauts)

Or, if you can wait that long, take a road trip down to see me in Jan/Feb/March. :D We only have hoppy beers on tap, but my neighbor only likes malty beers and he brews malty beers while I brew hoppy beers. We could walk over to his house and drink his beer, and then walk back to my house to try mine! (We winter north of Rockport, south of Port Lavaca.).

Seriously, trying every beer you can will go a long way to helping you pick out what you like or even what you like in beers that you don't care for. Like in Becks. Ok, it smells like feet- but what else is there you taste or smell? Do you like that level of sweetness? What about the hops? Do you smell those?

I know that some stores let you "make your own sixpack" but I don't know if Spec's does. That would be a great way to dabble in beer drinking as part of your study program. With only one beer, you're not committed to entire six pack of beer you don't like.

I just realized you're in Bay City not Bayview, my bad. "Near" may be a relative term in this case. We do have a member that comes from almost as far if not farther than you you though.

Spec's doesn't let you mix and match but the big ones do have a great wall of bombers for tasting.

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to make it out that far unless I'm already in Houston for some reason. Gas is just way too expensive.
I doubt the Specs's in Lake Jackson is big enough for the tasting wall of bombers. And then we run into the Houston issue again.
Well ain't this a sticky wicket? :)

I feel like you should visit a place that sells single beers you can mix and match, and just pick up 12 completely different beers and have yourself a beer tasting :)

I also could never really point out what I liked or didnt like in beer(because I like almost everything), I would try a beer, then google it, end up at a site like Beer Advocate or Ratebeer. These sites have discriptions all up on all beers, So I pour a glass and try to pinpoint these flavors that other people are knowledgable on beer tastes pinpoint.

Variety is the spice of life!

Or, if you can wait that long, take a road trip down to see me in Jan/Feb/March. :D We only have hoppy beers on tap, but my neighbor only likes malty beers and he brews malty beers while I brew hoppy beers. We could walk over to his house and drink his beer, and then walk back to my house to try mine! (We winter north of Rockport, south of Port Lavaca.).

Seriously, trying every beer you can will go a long way to helping you pick out what you like or even what you like in beers that you don't care for. Like in Becks. Ok, it smells like feet- but what else is there you taste or smell? Do you like that level of sweetness? What about the hops? Do you smell those?

I know that some stores let you "make your own sixpack" but I don't know if Spec's does. That would be a great way to dabble in beer drinking as part of your study program. With only one beer, you're not committed to entire six pack of beer you don't like.

I'll have to look you up when you're down here for the winter. Thanks for the invitation! :ban:

HEB offers the "mix and match" 6 pack option and offer a pretty good selection (I seriously miss HEB, as there is NOTHING in my home state that comes close to the combination of quality/price/service).

Personally, my quest is for the perfect wheat beer. It's what I like, it's what I want to brew. So, I've been sampling every example I run across. LOTS of variations on that theme.

Good luck on your adventure.

HEB offers the "mix and match" 6 pack option and offer a pretty good selection (I seriously miss HEB, as there is NOTHING in my home state that comes close to the combination of quality/price/service).

Personally, my quest is for the perfect wheat beer. It's what I like, it's what I want to brew. So, I've been sampling every example I run across. LOTS of variations on that theme.

Good luck on your adventure.

Yes there is. The name is Tiffany's and they are in Kalamazoo. They have the biggest selection of beer I have ever seen and the price is just right.

If you like Old Rasputin, but can't handle the ABV, you might like Anchor Brewing's bock:
http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/anchor_bock
It's a dark, hoppy bock, but with much lower IBU's, so not as bitter.

Another thing you can do to try different beers is to go to various brewpubs. Most brewpubs will have a "sampler" so you can try a small amount of everything they make in 1 sitting. Even if they don't serve a sampler, you can usually get a taste of a brew for free to see if you like it; I've never been told "no" when I asked for a taste of anything at a brewpub.
Regards, GF.

My SWMBO also is a big malt with minimum hops drinker and a fan of Rasputin. Going on her preferences skipping the high ABV quadrupels:
Redhook Double Black Stout (no longer available commercially, but in a AHS clone kit)
Scottish Ales, particularly Highland Gaelic Ale and Belhaven Scottish Ale.

Yes there is. The name is Tiffany's and they are in Kalamazoo. They have the biggest selection of beer I have ever seen and the price is just right.

I'm in K'zoo twice a month, I'll look it up. But You'd have to have shopped at an HEB to understand. It's not just a grocery shopping experience, it's an adventure.

There's a corner party store at Dort Highway and Grand Blanc rd in...Grand Blanc you should check out...

Latest posts

Back