IF you could plant any hop or only one hop what kind would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allynlyon

Reaction score
As I was looking ahead to next season and trying to decide what I wanted to plant I started asking myself this question. I thought some of you might want to play along. If you could only plant one hop which kind would you chose? Alternatively, if land/money wasn't an object what varieties would be a must have for your garden?

That depends what you like to brew. I picked 2 low AA and 2 high AA. The high are much better producers in my location. I prefer IPAs so that works out great.
What varieties do you end up using the most in your brews? I just recently had to make a "FireSale Stout" to use up the rest of last years harvest because I hadn't consumed them all and had to make room for this year. You'll be surprised how easy it is to coax a pound of dry hops out of a single plant.

It would have to be versatile. Something that would work for both bittering and aroma. I would go with Centennial.

That said, my cascade plants put out about 3x the amount that my centennial plants have produced.

That depends what you like to brew. I picked 2 low AA and 2 high AA. The high are much better producers in my location. I prefer IPAs so that works out great.
What varieties do you end up using the most in your brews? I just recently had to make a "FireSale Stout" to use up the rest of last years harvest because I hadn't consumed them all and had to make room for this year. You'll be surprised how easy it is to coax a pound of dry hops out of a single plant.

I am not a high Alpha person but my husband is. I prefer a good Hefe, wheat, tripel/abbey, or bock.

I haven't actually ever brewed a single batch. I've always wanted to and plan to experiment this winter. I saw a friend of ours growing a hop plant and I was so intrigued that I wanted to grow some, so last spring I put out my first 6. I loved the little plant so much I decided to grow more. I still want to brew my own beer but I'm having way more fun growing hops right now.

Back