If you could choose ONLY 3 hop varieties EVER, what would they be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magnum
Cascade
EKG

I figure those three varieties can give me the widest range of styles.

This is close to my choice.

Magnum
Cascade
Citra

I LOVE APA/IPA and >50% of my beer requires Cascades and/or Citra!

Wouldn't it be nice to get ahold of some Citra hops?!! Love 'em! Aren't those a proprietary variety only available to industrial growers?

yes proprietary to one grower.. but no not limited to industrial we by pounds online on here all the time as well (over priced) but available at my lhbs' year round.

oh and

Cascade
Williammette
Citra

yes proprietary to one grower.. but no not limited to industrial we by pounds online on here all the time as well (over priced) but available at my lhbs' year round.

oh and

Cascade
Williammette
Citra

Sorry, I should've been more specific....I want to be able to purchase rhizomes so that I can propagate and gorw the plants. Both for my personal use and for selling live plants at my greenhouse. I have not had any luck finding the rhizomes so that I can grow them.

Sorry, I should've been more specific....I want to be able to purchase rhizomes so that I can propagate and gorw the plants. Both for my personal use and for selling live plants at my greenhouse. I have not had any luck finding the rhizomes so that I can grow them.

And with them being propritary they dont sell the rhizomes.. which is why there is only one farm that grows them and the supply cant keep up with demand.

And with them being propritary they dont sell the rhizomes.. which is why there is only one farm that grows them and the supply cant keep up with demand.

I know and understand that.....hence the reason I said "wouldn't it be nice to be able to get ahold of citra...". I only lacked scecificity. I should've indicated I wanted them to grow, not just to consume.

Hmm, well the first too are easy for me with Cascade and EKG. I could brew straight up beers with those for ever and would be pretty happy.

The third is a bit trickier, do you take something to compliment either one of those something completely different. Saaz would be a good choice for something different I guess. Could do a wide variety of styles this time.

Citra is the Trademark name for the variety. It is patented under Humulus lupulus 'HBC 394'. It was developed by the Hop Breeding Company www.hopbreedingcompany.com. They are a commercial hybridizer who specializes in the creation of new varieties. Though the plant is Trademarked it is available to commercial growers. And that's about as far as I've looked into the variety...as I do not have intentions of installing an acre of the plants and going into commercial production. With most Trademarked plants in my industry, I would expect that any grower that meets certain criteria could obtain and grow HBC 394, as long as the royalties are paid to the patent holder, and as long as their restrictions are met. But without actually contacting The Hop Breeding Company and investigating it deeper, I'm just guessing.
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090193555

Mosaic: Good substitute for amarillo, cascade, simcoe or any other grapefruit citrusy hop

EKG: I would use this for all stouts, porters or english ales. Could also be used in american ales

German Hallertau Tradition: This would keep me covered as far as most german ales that I brew

Styrian Goldings for Belgians, Sours, English and the like.

Honestly, probably Cascade for American beers. There's a reason it is the classic and old stand by. It would be tough to give up Citra, but I think I could manage.

Hallertau would probably be third for me. I don't lager yet, but I use Hallertau in Belgians, APAs, and Kolsches and such. It's a great hop, up there with Styrian Goldings for me.

Back